Skip to main content

My Dinner with Darla

I used to go to Payless shoe stores quite often to buy my shoes. Not only where the prices low but they had the larger sizes that larger and taller women like me need. During these visits I would see the same girls and eventually struck up a bit of a rapport with a young woman (we'll call her Darla). She was super helpful and I was flattered by the fact that in her eyes I passed as a woman. The way she treated me had me convinced that she believed I had been born as such. She ended up, however, leaving that particular store and I lost sight of her for a long period.

Lo and behold, during one of my outings a few months ago I ran into her in the street. She was very friendly and we ended up exchanging cell phone numbers. After that she would text me and I would text her periodically and we joked about getting together one day. So when the opportunity finally came a couple of weeks ago (our calendars finally aligned) we agreed to meet up for a drink at 6 pm on a Friday evening.

I must admit that I had some trepidation about passing an extended period of time "en femme" and somehow blowing my cover in front of her. Then having to back track and explain that it was all an elaborate trick I was playing. I had told her I was married and had children which was true but I never told her I was the husband in that arrangement. So that afternoon I almost backed off and cancelled. I thought a lot about what to wear and how to explain that I was transgendered (should it come to that).

Since it was a warm and muggy day, I opted for a pink top, flowery skirt and ballerina flats. I left the house early and decided to just walk around the city a bit before meeting up. When the moment came she called me and told me where she was and I walked up to meet her. The first thing she did was give me a nice kiss on both cheeks and we started walking to our agreed little bistro. That evening, not only was the conversation entirely charming but we shared a lot of deeper feelings about ourselves (her brother had committed suicide a few years ago)and I felt quite honored that she could trust someone this much that she had only sold shoes to. She asked me about my kids and my husband and I decided to tell her that he and I were breaking up (not entirely untrue since I was splitting up with my girlfriend).

In the end what struck me is that I really felt privy to a this bond that women feel when they are amongst themselves and sharing their feelings. I drove her home that night thinking that I had passed some sort of test. Not that I had fooled someone but that I had been included in a sorority of real women at least for that night and come away richer for it.

Comments

  1. Based on what I've experienced, women tend to build relationships, real connections instead of just acquaintances. You passed the test - she felt she could relate to you as a female, and treated you as such. But now, you will always have to relate to her as a female would - so to show her the same respect she showed you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Chris. Thanks for the advice. I do take these things seriously...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…