Skip to main content

being ME

Funny when I think back to 20 years ago: a time when I was nowhere near admitting that I was transgendered. I kept it buried deep in the recesses of my mind, holding back on the crossdressing for months at a time only to have it return with a vengeance. Eventually the pressure would build and I would be compelled to indulge it, feeling terrible afterwards and then throw the clothes in the trash. That cycle is something a lot of trans people are very familiar with. I now realize that this was my way of dealing with the repressed feelings I had. Since they had to go somewhere they were channelled into the equivalence of a couple of weeks worth of crossdressing per year. It was all very tame as I would go out to public places and enjoy the feeling of being an imaginary woman for a few brief hours.

Yesterday I reflected on this as I spent an entire day as Joanna. I went to a few shops, tried on a few things as I interacted with sales ladies and spoke to coffee merchants as if it were the most normal thing in the world. I realized how far I had come from that young man in a dress who would sheepishly walk in the mall hoping not to be “read”. I was addressed as a woman and treated as one. It was affirming and wonderful and made me realize that I am now very comfortable public; more than I ever thought was possible.

How does one get from where I was to where I am now in 20 years? From keeping it all bottled up to feeling like I might be on the verge of wanting to live full time as a female? That very thought scares the hell out of me but also brings me solace. It’s the pull of being raised male and doing what you’re supposed to versus being the person you’ve always really been but were afraid to be for fear of failing expectation. I married at 32 thinking that it would bring me to where I should be as a male in life but that only delayed the inevitable battle that needed to be faced.

The coming months will bring more reflection and change I suspect. I am by nature extremely cautious and a planner so no worries about jumping into anything but this desire needs to be dealt with and living a double life may grow tiresome. Remaining the equivalent of a crossdresser may be unsatisfactory because I don’t want to crossdress; I just want to get dressed in the morning and not think about it again. I want to be ME – whoever that is....

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna -

    One of the markers I've noticed about being trans is that our "peer" social group is not of our natal gender. Do you notice using certain language elements that females would use instead of those a male would use? In short, in non trans language , the following statement best describes how the two genders accomplish things:

    Men dominate while women collaborate.

    I recently noticed this in my own language at work (having more of a feminine style), and decided to make a couple of changes - and it was amazing how people reacted. I'll bet that your interactions with females are going so smoothly because you're using a female mode of communication. Am I correct?

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are Marian yes. I am using dimoplacy and non competitive means at work and I am just being me with my cis friends...a female..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…