Skip to main content

thanks for this Anne...

I have been harsh with Anne Lawrence for sticking to Blanchard’s theories on autogynephilia but it must be said that in reading her essay entitled “Men trapped in Men’s Bodies” I have come to a better understanding of her own translation of the theory. Here is an excerpt;

“It would be a mistake to conclude that if autogynephilic transsexuality is in large part about sexual desire, then it is somehow suspect, or is less legitimate than homosexual transsexuality. Although the focus of this essay is not on homosexual transsexuality per se, I do want to say enough about it to dispel any mistaken notions that homosexual transsexuals are the "real" transsexuals, or that their motivations are exclusively non-sexual. Neither is true. By definition, transsexuals are those who undergo sex reassignment as a treatment for gender dysphoria. The gender dysphoria of autogynephilic transsexuals is every bit as real as that of their homosexual counterparts. And it matters not a whit if that dysphoria stems in whole or in part from an inability to achieve sexual satisfaction in one's existing body or role. Autogynephilic transsexuals have just as much claim to being "real" transsexuals as their homosexual sisters”


I am not necessarily in complete agreement with that entire statement (mostly due to my uncertainty about sexual desire being the primary driver for autogynephilics). However, I have said and continue to strongly believe that there is no difference between androphilic and autogynephilic transsexuals other than sexual orientation. The reason androphilic transsexuals transition sooner is obvious as are the reasons autogynephilic transsexuals transition later. I have noticed however that young autogynephilics are also starting to transition younger these days due to access of information and increasing sensitivity of society around this issue.

Both groups suffer from gender dysphoria and based on the severity of the impairment brought about there will be a decision to transition or not.
GID is either debilitating or it is not. If it is you will transition. If you are autogynephilic it will likely be later and if you are androphilic it will likely be sooner. Other factors will be level of education, economics, family values, religious beliefs, physical appearance before transition, etc. This is why every case is different.

Transsexual exceptionalists would have you believe differently because only they are “true” transsexuals. This is cleary false.

I have no personal stake in any of this since I know I am a latent transsexual but have no plans to transition. Were I 20 years old today with access to all of the information I now possess its more than likely I would be on my way towards HRT and corrective surgery.

I am interested however in truth because younger people reading misinformation can lead to tragic consequences such as suicide. It’s a very difficult road we travel and I have been around long enough to know that suffering in silence can be devastating.

If I can help someone else today by telling them a basic truth, it will be more than ample reward for me.

Comments

  1. I think that much autogynephiliac attribution to gender-dysphoria is conflating with more complicated psychological dynamics related with the particulars of an individuals sexual longings. Also it can not be more overstated that most autogynephiliacs are not dysphoric, which says a lot about the niches of AGP fantasies and the wider psychological context of the individual. Internalization of sexuality must be taken seriously and not as demeaning of the dysphoria it can produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that is possible. I have already figured out not only that I am disphoric but also borderline transexual. But as I have said it's manageable if I can live part time as joanna...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…