Skip to main content

the well meaning but obtuse...

My sister C is a lovely person. She is full of love for God and family and is very well meaning. I love her dearly.

We were close when we were younger because we are back to back in the family pecking order and we were able to share a lot of our feelings and ideas when we were younger.

This is not so much the case today as we have drifted apart due to physical distance (she lives 3000 km away) but also with the varying experience of life and where our respective journeys have taken us.

She has been (in her own way) trying to help me deal with my GID in the only way she knows how; namely through the forwarding of information she finds on the net and through her prayers for me. Occasionally, the link she sends points to a very valid website (such as Cris Pagani’s) but often she points me to some religious crackpot who has made up their own reality and neither understands firsthand the condition nor cares to. They simply spew their own drivel to anyone who cares to listen; hopefully not some young confused disphoric who tries to hold their breath. I can tell them now that it wont work.

Like many well meaning and dogmatic religious people, she is not able to fully comprehend the complexity of this issue and she struggles to understand how I cannot have a greater control over my behaviour. She goes after the crossdressing not understanding that it is my only lifeline in suppressing my desire to transition. Without it I would already be going literally insane by this point.

It is not about the crossdressing but about the GID and she misses the boat completely.

If one accepts the fact that GID is a condition one is born with, and after decades of reading and personal reflection I certainly do, then one is only left with how to grapple with its effects. It typically worsens with increasing age so the disphoric needs to find ways to prevent the condition from taking over their life completely. In its extreme form, the GID sufferer will commit suicide rather than spend another day in their incorrect gender. Of course the well meaning civilian will never comprehend this and, if they are already predisposed to believe that these conditions are a life choice, will not accept that you cannot simply stop your behaviour altogether.

Approximately one in four transgender people have attempted or commit suicide. This is a startling, mind boggling statistic but it does not surprise me. The amount of societal, family and personal rejection one experiences can be devastating. My own lifeline has been the type of upbringing that my parents gave which gave me some tools to grapple with the effects of this condition.

Make no mistake that, although I myself have no current plans to transition, I fully support anyone who feels they must do so to save their own lives. This is a very real condition which, if it were any more advanced in me, would oblige me to begin my own physical transition in order to buy some mental peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…