Skip to main content

additional AGP observations and thoughts

I’m going to return to the subject of AGP again briefly....

Over at Crossdreamers site, I was participating in a thread where the blog posting centered around transsexual versus non transsexual AGP behaviour.
For reasons I have explained before, my GID for me is certainly more than about sexual eroticism but what struck me is that some AGPers are only interested in the phenomenon as a purely psycho sexual experience with the disphoria coming as an adjunct.

My belief is that that my disphoria was present first (and very early on I might add) and upon entering puberty I first experienced sexual overtones in my identification to the female. In my desire to be like any other normal boy and in conjunction with the societal message that being male is a good thing, I experienced guilt over my arousal and the guilt-purge cycle began in earnest.

Now for some AGPers their female identity remains entrenched in a psycho sexual experience and is never expressed in any physical form such as cross dressing. In other words, there is never any physical manifestation of a female identity but only the dream of having a female body and being penetrated by a male for example. They claim no transgender identity as such.

What makes all this interesting is that in light of Anne Lawrence’s interviews with both autogynephilic and androphilic transsexuals is that what everyone seems to be calling AGP appears on the surface to be a shared phenomenon. In other words, feminization fantasies can be present in almost any type of person. You don’t need to be transgender or transsexual to experience them.

So are we confusing what AGP really means and are people misdiagnosing themselves? Blanchard, Bailey and Lawrence were talking about this theory in their attempts to explain heterosexual late transitioning males who fantasized about being women. Now it seems that somebody who finds wearing his wife’s panties or enjoys bondage while dressed as a female is self identifying as AGP.

Let’s remember that in the literature AGP is referred to as a mis targeting or as an alternate sexual orientation and that Anne Lawrence, who admittedly suffers from this condition, claims there is validity in one’s desire to transition based solely on these grounds.

I don’t give much credence to the AGP theory because it tries to discredit the genuine transgender identification of disphorics like myself in favour of a purely sexual phenomenon. The explanation stretches very thin when trying to explain early life and later life experiences of people like me.

What I find even more heartening is that some posters over at crossdreamers, who identify as AGP but have no transsexual or transgender identity, are using their own experience to try and negate the disphoria connection altogether. They have no desire to transition and in that sense don’t technically belong in the AGP discussion in the context of Blanchard’s original theory.

Comments

  1. "Now for some AGPers their female identity remains entrenched in a psycho sexual experience and is never expressed in any physical form such as cross dressing."

    Because there is no "female identity" for these people, simply a masochistic subjection to femininity.

    The physicality you attribute to crossdressing implies a more than sexual. If talking in terms of sexual fantasies, then crossdressing is a tool within the fantasy itself.

    What is the femaleness of this identity you presume? What is it to be female? What are the properties you represent with "dysphoria"? I don't think you know, yet how you have packaged everything is determinate. How are these historically related to sexuality?

    "My belief is that that my disphoria was present first"

    I had humiliating emasculinization/feminization dreams connected with sexual arousal from the age of 3-6. If I hadn't later recognised the feeling of sexual arousal and if the anxiety hadn't been recognisable in the situation of "humiliation", then don't you think I would simply interpret that I way enjoying the experience of hyper-femininity?

    "Now it seems that somebody who finds wearing his wife’s panties or enjoys bondage while dressed as a female is self identifying as AGP"

    What is the phenomenology? Blanchard, Lawrence & Molay are all guilty of phenomenological naivety. How must "panties" work within experience in order for sexual arousal to be present?

    "I don’t give much credence to the AGP theory because it tries to discredit the genuine transgender identification of disphorics like myself in favour of a purely sexual phenomenon."

    Anne has it right, and it isn't necessarily a discredit to AGP transgender identification. What is routinely misunderstood (and manipulated) is that whilst AGP is inherently sexual, it can psychologically provide genuine conditions for trans identification. There is a great ignorance of psychology in the misunderstanding.

    "are using their own experience to try and negate the disphoria connection altogether."

    No negation, it is simply more complicated than the terms presumed.

    "They have no desire to transition and in that sense don’t technically belong in the AGP discussion in the context of Blanchard’s original theory."

    Blanchards theory included many things, but centrally Autogynephilia "love of oneself as a woman") is a term coined in 1989 by Ray Blanchard, to refer to "a man's paraphilic tendency to be sexually aroused by the thought or image of himself as a woman."

    The very same object of sexual arousal has been represented many times before, previously as transvestic feminization. Before it gave the impression of an experience grounded in clothing, and autogynephilia gave the impression of anatomy. But neither of these phrases has it quite right, as any symbol of femininity will potentially be present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets just agree to disagree...I really find this discussion is going in circles. You are clearly well educated and well read but just like the transexual who absolutely needs to transition in the absence of any physical or genetic anomaly (for now at least), everyone needs to live their own reality.

    You have not proven your point to me nor have I convinced you.

    All the theorizing in the world won't change the way I live day to day.

    Thanks for your input....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try and refrain from posting anymore on AGP as it typically starts a very hot debate.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. But one thing....you had emasculation fantasies at age 3? Well guess what I did not. For me being a girl was good enough at that age.

    In the end we all use our own personal filters which colours our perception.

    Like AQV says its not really science its just theorizing based on our subjective experience.

    I am transgendered and very happy with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "you had emasculation fantasies at age 3?"

    Somewhere between the age of 3 and 6. As stated before, if the dreams hadn't been recognisably in the context of sexual arousal and masochism, how could they be thought of as differing from your experience? What would have come of my psychological emergence if I hadn't experienced in the context of sexual arousal and masochism...

    "In the end we all use our own personal filters which colours our perception. Like AQV says its not really science its just theorizing based on our subjective experience."

    Psychology itself is not scientific, yet it can be just as real and serious. Your transgender identification is not being undermined, just that the emergence of such in the context of AGP is more complicated than the special terms dysphoric AGPs like to account for themselves with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well true enough that psychology is not scientific..and we all need to do what gets us through life as steadily as possible...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…