Skip to main content

How I feel inside...

Robyn P sent me some comments so I thought I would address some of them in this blog entry:

I try and analyse how I feel when I am out as Joanna. I try to put my finger on why I want to present as a woman and why I enjoy it so completely.

There is comfort and there is joy and it’s undeniably a positive experience for me. Yes I enjoy the clothing: the earrings, the heels but there is more to it than that; and certainly more than a sexual experience.

I don’t think it rests in my having had a bad childhood either. I had a normal childhood with loving parents who encouraged me to behave as a boy. I don’t recall being dressed up or emasculated in any way. I always felt an affiliation to the feminine although I was not effeminate per se. I knew how to behave as a boy but I was more sensitive than most boys.

I am an artistic person and there is a creative aspect to creating a feminine presentation.

Why do I need to present as a female when I am her and she is me? Because part of feeling feminine is undeniably tied to the way one dresses. It need not be flashy either. When I go out this summer I will wear shorts and a tee shirt and ballerinas. I might add some make up and some earrings and that’s about it. We are after all sexual beings even if the activity is not sexual. The accessories sometimes connect us physically to where we are mentally and serve as a reminder.

I believe that I am somehow two spirited. I cannot explain it concisely but this need exists which does not require the eradication of the other side. To be Joanna I need not kill the male side and as much as I might relish living as a woman full time, I have too many family and work obligations that necessitate that I present as male.

Yesterday I saw my friend Vicky who works at the Estee Lauder makeup counter. I was supposed to have coffee with her and finally we could not but in discussing with her I could feel the comfort and the warmth inside when I am being perceived, recognized and treated as a woman. It feels to me like my natural state and perhaps it truly is.

My mother told me recently that if she had known about all this early on I could have made that transition early and lived my life as the woman I was perhaps meant to be. But it took all this time for me to recognize what everything meant and sorting through the mixed messages and expectations thrust upon me as a child. I was too afraid to be different; to be what I thought was a freak. Today I would perhaps more quickly have been identified as transgender and have had the support of those around me and I would have spoken up upon seeing it.

I won’t live in regret but just move forward knowing what I know now and enjoy finally being myself.

Comments

  1. I also experience an incredible amount of joy, peace, and contentment whenever I appear as a woman. It is a very comfortable place for me to be as much as I can. And it is definitely not sexual for me at all...

    For most of my life, I thought I had a "normal" childhood. So I logically determined that since my upbringing was good, my gender questioning and crossdressing HAD to come from birth. However, this was an unsatisfactory explanation. I know why I dress and appear as a woman. It is quite simple. I get a lot of "good things" internally. The question became "Why am I getting these 'good things' inside of me when 95% (pick a number) of men don't?" i had to take a good hard look at why I am going down a certain path while most of my peers are not. I discovered that even though I had a "normal" childhood, there were quite a number of events that happened and a some events that should have happened that didn't. Separately, they all seem innocuous, but combined together into the big picture they formed the path many years ago that I am on now.

    Has it helped me? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good post with excellent comments from Robyn. Where each of us are today and where we come from and where we will end up are unique to the individual. There is no one set formula and for the most part even trying to define ourselves with what passes for common terminology on the 'gender spectrum' is difficult. We do not live in a static environment. Who we are is a combinition of our birth and our life experiences.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

understanding the erotic component

I have written about crossed wires before in two separate posts. The idea is that one cannot pass through puberty and the development of sexual feelings for females and not have your pre-existing gender dysphoria be impacted through your psychosexual development. The hormone responsible for your libido is testosterone which is present in much stronger concentration in males and is why gynephilics are most likely to experience erotic overtones as the conflict between romantic external feelings and their pull towards the feminine become permanently intertwined.

Because I came from a deeply religious family where sex was not discussed much at all, I grew up with little access to information and was very much ignorant of matters relating to the subject. With no firsthand experience in intercourse until I married I was then faced with the reality that my ability to perform sexually had been deeply impacted by my dysphoric feelings. This began years of turmoil and self-deprecating thoughts …

a blending

An interesting thing is happening to me: as I have fully embraced being transgender my male and female anima are becoming blended. The female side is no longer an unwelcome appendage which, as a result, has allowed me to craft a more genuine and happier male image.

I dress when I want to and sometimes I cut outings shorter than before. I am my own master in this regard and feel in control.

Don't get me wrong in that the dysphoria is not going away and is sometimes like a wild stallion that threatens to jump the fence but I have learnt to understand it’s demands after all these years hence a transition for me is definitely not in the cards. At this point I am not even foreseeing a social one.

The two sides are no longer in conflict and they are now intertwined to create a fusion that is unique to me. That answer finally came when I reached a full level of self assurance about who I am and learned to embrace that I am trans and yes, that includes my dysphoria's erotic undertones…