Skip to main content

freedom of expression

“So much of gender, I'd say most of it, is just that -- a display. A set of very small, disconnected behaviours that give the illusion of a whole identity. Sure, you'll never know what it's like to have a cis female body, but you can certainly own your femininity in the same you can own your taste in music, your sense of fashion, etc. Not to trivialize gender issues or imply that people don't have an innate sense of bodily sex, but I'm just talking femininity in terms of behaviour and the feelings that come with that behaviour”

Lindsay sent me this comment which was posted on crossdreamlife and I admit that it did strike a chord with me because much of my own history is coloured with the shame of needing to express my own brand of femininity.

Although the above statement is something you may agree or disagree with, it does try to convey feelings which are more tied to gender expression than to identity and, while I understand fully that I am a man and can identity as one, I can at the same time acknowledge the strong pull towards expressing something which makes me feel whole.

I have expressed in this blog my confusion about whether I might truly be transsexual and whether my gender disphoria would not be best treated permanently through transition. But would a more liberating attitude towards my gender expression, one that is free of suppression, shame and guilt, be the only thing that I really need?

I am hoping that this approach helps reduce the gender discomfort I have lived with most of my life.

Since I am currently happy with my ability to express myself more fluidly, this might be as good a barometer as any to justify this approach. I hope to be able to come to the very same conclusion after having tried Helene’s group in the fall.

In the final analysis, your gender identification is your own and since no one perfectly conforms to the binary norms, its up to you to make your model work for you.

Even if I do not fully understand my need to express gender variance, I can proceed with the knowledge that its something that helps me and simply be happy with that.


Comments

  1. I agree. "So much of gender, I'd say most of it, is just that -- a display. A set of very small, disconnected behaviours that give the illusion of a whole identity".

    You have come a long way, as have many others, in accepting your fluid and variable gender expression. If only you could communicate the simple truth to those self appointed "leaders" who have defined you as a political position based on oppression and victimhood.

    Honestly. It is not my fault that cross dressing makes you feel good. Just because society in general does not understand or accept your particular needs or proclivities does not make society the oppressors. Think about that. Where did all the shame and guilt come from? It came from you because you felt that you were not living up to those standards set by others.

    I have always believed that if people could just accept themselves for who they are, all the guilt, shame and victimhood would b gone. Unfortunately, that simple approach does not work well, nor will it support those that profit from all the angst, pain and denial of the transgender "community".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found it difficult to explain the feeling of affirmation and contentment that being able to dress in woman's clothes provides.
    Most people who meet me take me at face value. A guy, doing guy things, dressed as a guy, displaying all typical guy emotions and behavior. Since only my wife knows that I like to dress she wonders why I actually need to go through the process of dressing and wonders why I just cannot be satisfied thinking of myself as dressed.
    Actually dressing and interacting with others while expressing myself in a feminine fashion is what I find affirming and liberating and conforting and consoling and stress relieving.
    Like I said it is something that is hard to explain.
    Some years back I had an old used Porsche. It was wonderful. Great to drive, fun, etc. My wife never drove it and asked what was so good about having a Porsche. My comment and thought process then was "If I have to explain what is so great about a Porsche...then I can't." It is much the same about crossdressing. If I have to explain what I like about dressing or why I do it or what I get out of it...I can't.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…