Skip to main content

what's next?....life I suppose...

Understanding oneself can take half a lifetime. It certainly has been the case for me.

I remember as a very young child putting on my mother’s heels and playing with my sisters and then very swiftly having the carpet pulled out from under me by my well meaning mother trying to avoid the catastrophe of her son being different.

From there it went underground and the privacy of my room. When no one was home the first thing I did was go into my mother’s closet.

It would have been helpful of course to understand where these emotions and the drive to the feminine were coming from but I would never find any true answers. I was able to piece fragments together but my research did not really begin in earnest until my mid forties. I delayed it all due to my total denial about my condition.

I believed I was a flawed and perverted person and was easily led to fall prey to the ideas of Anne Lawrence, Ray Blanchard and Michael Bailey. For a time, it seemed to fit my behavior until I started reading more about non disphoric fetishists and realized that their experiences and mine were completely different. Once that avenue was closed, I was able to find my answer in the work of Harry Benjamin, whose work I appreciate more and more upon re reading.

Does it bother me that I might be a borderline transsexual? No in fact I am actually bolstered by merely being able to identify what I have as a condition and not as a character flaw. Because of the way I was raised and the discipline I was able to exert in every other area of my life, I never understood why this one appeared to be immune from my efforts at eradication.

Merely understanding this has been a breath of fresh air.

The next challenge is to try and figure out if a person like me can love a woman and have her love me back just as I am. I think N and I might be close to getting there and because I have removed so much guilt and stress from my life I believe I may be able to love her as she deserves to be loved.

We are taking things very slowly and as we walked and talked last evening we are simply enjoying each other’s company.

On another note, my son's anxiety is slowly taking a turn for the better and I am very bolstered by this. We were at the hospital the other day and he spoke very eloquently to the doctors evaluating him. I am very proud of him...

Comments

  1. "...I remember as a very young child putting on my mother’s heels and playing with my sisters....When no one was home the first thing I did was go into my mother’s closet...."

    Just as I point of clarification, I would like to drill a bit deeper into this apparent "drive/desire/need(?)", to get into your mom's closet to play with her things. If this is too personal or make's you uncomfortable, then just say so and I will understand that this venue, an open public blog, is not the appropriate venue for such a deeply personal question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no but I don't know why. It always came naturally to me from the start. No answer for you other than that. It was too long ago....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same drive perhaps which is there today and makes me so happy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that if your brain is female you will naturally gravitate to feminine things. It seems natural.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reason why our brain is like this is not understood by science Lindsay. I look at my condition as something having gone slightly wrong at conception. Since fetuses start off as females and only become male later it might not take much to disrupt the proper cocktail of chemicals. It you add social factors that may also affect us then you end up with a trans person.

    I suppose I see myself as a person who has a male brain with some female thrown in for good measure. This is why I feel that transtion would be a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that many of us go through stages and phases seeking a definition of what we are and why we like the things that we like to do.
    I am happy that you seem to be reaching a state of balance.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one is happier about this than I am Pat....thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…