Skip to main content

disphoria as not being a mental disorder


This is from Wikipedia but it rather well encapsulates the main arguments against gender disphoria being a mental disorder and instead more steeped in society’s non acceptance of gender variance or conversely as a birth condition.

Gender as a social construction

Gender characteristics are socially constructed and therefore naturally unrelated to biological sex. This perspective often notes that other cultures, particularly historical ones, valued gender roles that would presently suggest homosexuality or transgenderism as normal behavior. Some cultures have three defined genders: male, female, and effeminate male. In Samoa, the fa'afafine, a group of feminine males, are entirely socially accepted. The fa'afafine do not experience any of the stigma or distress typically associated with deviating from a male/female gender role, indicating that the distress that is so frequently associated with GD in a Western context is not caused by the disorder, rather it is a secondary result of social disapproval

GID as a birth defect

This argument is supported by physiological evidence, such as the presence of typically-female patterns of white matter and neuron patterns observed in the brains of male-to-female transsexual and overall longer instances of the androgen receptor gene. One rebuttal to this view is that these markers do not identify every individual who undergoes transition, and that using them to define transsexualism could falsely exclude some people from treatment.

Distress as a consequence of stigma

The DSM-IV-TR diagnostic component of distress is not inherent in the cross-gender identity, rather it is a result of social rejection and discrimination Dr. Darryl Hill insists that GID is not a mental disorder, but rather that the diagnostic criteria reflect psychological distress in children that occurs when parents have trouble relating to their child's gender variance.

One of the interesting things I have observed during my lifetime has been the change in social acceptance of gender variance. I offer as example an individual like Andrej Pejic himself an example of it and, while he seems to feel comfortable with his biological sex, he exhibits extreme femininity. In repeated interviews, he simply states that this is the way he is and that it is society’s problem if people think he is strange. The fact that Andrej is a celebrated model and has been lauded for his ability to be completely himself, shows how far we have come in the last 3 decades.

While I am not proposing that gender disphoria is or is not a mental disorder, it is interesting to note that increasingly there are more and more people being less stigmatized by the idea of revealing their natural penchant to display gender variance and, for at least some of these people, the draw towards physical transition may possibly be reduced through the removal of certain societal pressure to behave or dress in a manner expected for their birth gender.

Since gender variance has existed for as long as mankind has been on this planet, we have seen that in those cultures where it is not as discouraged those so inclined are more comfortable to express themselves and therefore less traumatized and distressed.

Had I felt the way I do now about myself all those years ago, I would have avoided a great deal of repression, secrecy and guilt over something which was clearly now in retrospect not such a big deal.

Indeed as I have come closer and closer to complete self acceptance, the attractiveness of transition has become proportionately reduced because my distress was only over fear that my behaviour was abnormal or disapproved of and not because it was causing me harm.

Comments

  1. Surely you are aware that Wikipedia is not a source of empirical "scientific" evidence. It is little more than the biased opinions of the authors.

    How do I know this? Consider: "Gender characteristics are socially constructed..." TRUE

    "...and therefore naturally unrelated to biological sex". FALSE. This is not a foregone conclusion. One could just as easily conclude that it IS therefore naturally related to biological sex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no more proof than I do because there is very little out there. We still have no idea why people like you transition.

    I also have no evidence for what causes my disphoria. You can find differing opinions in this topic very easily.

    The people who have been running the hospital program here at the montreal general for many years would not agree with your opinions which as I explained before now sticks to gender disphoria instead of name the genuine transsexuals versus the men in dresses. Maybe that was 30 years ago but no longer. People like Anne Vitale who've been doing this for decades also agree with the hospital.

    But no matter.

    Since I have absolutely no plans to transition its a moot point.

    In the mean time I will continue to read and ubderstand things that make the most sense and are the most logical in an area that is virtually devoid of either which is why you find so many experts with differing opinions.

    Its perhaps best to stick to what Harry benjamin did and stick to observing behavior rather than make conclusions about what makes people tick. He still makes for the best read.

    Trying to goad me into the transgender men in dresses trying to spoil life for the real women will have decreasing success with me in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I will continue to read and ubderstand things that make the most sense and are the most logical in an area that is virtually devoid of either..."

    Uhuh. Yepp, this makes sense??? NOT !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good answer...and not unexpected

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a man who dresses as a woman to control my urge to dress as a woman???? AQV you have outdone yourself with this bit of complete gibberish. It won't be long before this sort of stupid comment and undoubtedly more to follow will be simply deleted...

    Its become extremely obvious to me why you have a bee in your bonnet but I wont allow this blog to be poisoned by your personal frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

understanding the erotic component

I have written about crossed wires before in two separate posts. The idea is that one cannot pass through puberty and the development of sexual feelings for females and not have your pre-existing gender dysphoria be impacted through your psychosexual development. The hormone responsible for your libido is testosterone which is present in much stronger concentration in males and is why gynephilics are most likely to experience erotic overtones as the conflict between romantic external feelings and their pull towards the feminine become permanently intertwined.

Because I came from a deeply religious family where sex was not discussed much at all, I grew up with little access to information and was very much ignorant of matters relating to the subject. With no firsthand experience in intercourse until I married I was then faced with the reality that my ability to perform sexually had been deeply impacted by my dysphoric feelings. This began years of turmoil and self-deprecating thoughts …

a blending

An interesting thing is happening to me: as I have fully embraced being transgender my male and female anima are becoming blended. The female side is no longer an unwelcome appendage which, as a result, has allowed me to craft a more genuine and happier male image.

I dress when I want to and sometimes I cut outings shorter than before. I am my own master in this regard and feel in control.

Don't get me wrong in that the dysphoria is not going away and is sometimes like a wild stallion that threatens to jump the fence but I have learnt to understand it’s demands after all these years hence a transition for me is definitely not in the cards. At this point I am not even foreseeing a social one.

The two sides are no longer in conflict and they are now intertwined to create a fusion that is unique to me. That answer finally came when I reached a full level of self assurance about who I am and learned to embrace that I am trans and yes, that includes my dysphoria's erotic undertones…