Skip to main content

More brilliance from the experts...

Here is what brilliant psychiatrist Joseph Berger has to say:

“A prominent Toronto psychiatrist has severely criticized the assumptions underlying what has been dubbed by critics as the Canadian federal government's "bathroom bill," that is, Bill C-279, a private member’s bill that would afford special protection to so-called "transgender" men and women.
Dr. Joseph Berger has issued a statement saying that from a medical and scientific perspective there is no such thing as a "transgendered" person, and that terms such as “gender expression” and “gender identity" used in the bill are at the very least ambiguous, and are more an emotional appeal than a statement of scientific fact.

Berger, who is a consulting psychiatrist in Toronto and whose list of credentials establishes him as an expert in the field of mental illness, stated that people who identify themselves as "transgendered" are mentally ill or simply unhappy, and pointed out that hormone therapy and surgery are not appropriate treatments for psychosis or unhappiness.

From a scientific perspective, let me clarify what ‘transgendered’ actually means," Dr. Berger said, adding, "I am speaking now about the scientific perspective – and not any political lobbying position that may be proposed by any group, medical or non-medical."
‘Transgendered’ are people who claim that they really are or wish to be people of the sex opposite to which they were born, or to which their chromosomal configuration attests," Dr. Berger stated.

Some times, some of these people have claimed that they are ‘a woman trapped in a man’s body’ or alternatively ‘a man trapped in a woman’s body’."
The medical treatment of delusions, psychosis or emotional happiness is not surgery," Dr. Berger stated.

"On the other hand," Dr. Berger continued, "if these people are asked to clarify exactly what they believe, that is to say do they truly believe whichever of those above propositions applies to them and they say ‘no’, then they know that such a proposition is not true, but that they ‘feel’ it, then what we are talking about scientifically, is just unhappiness, and that unhappiness is being accompanied by a wish – that leads some people into taking hormones that predominate in the other sex, and even having cosmetic surgery designed to make them ‘appear’ as if they are a person of the opposite sex."
He explained that cosmetic surgery will not change the chromosomes of a human being in that it will not make a man become a woman, capable of menstruating, ovulating, and having children, nor will it make a woman into a man, capable of generating sperm that can unite with an egg or ovum from a woman and fertilize that egg to produce a human child.

Moreover, Dr. Berger stated that the arguments put forward by those advocating for special rights for gender confused people have no scientific value and are subjective and emotional appeals with no objective scientific basis.

I have read the brief put forward by those advocating special rights, and I find nothing of scientific value in it," Dr. Berger said in his statement. "Words and phrases, such as 'the inner space,' are used that have no objective scientific basis.

These are the scientific facts," Dr. Berger said. "There seems to me to be no medical or scientific reason to grant any special rights or considerations to people who are unhappy with the sex they were born into, or to people who wish to dress in the clothes of the opposite sex.

The so-called ‘confusion’ about their sexuality that a teenager or adult has is purely psychological. As a psychiatrist, I see no reason for people who identify themselves in these ways to have any rights or privileges different from everyone else in Canada," he concluded

Berger who is apparently smarter than the rest of us states the obvious: that there is no scientific evidence for being transsexual or transgender which is something everyone actually already knows. We have not found a trans gene nor a gay gene for that matter but that does not stop us from recognizing and allowing gay people certain rights in society.

Stephen Harper and his conservative government of ideological zealots are an example of what is often wrong in society. You have people who do not understand what goes on in the mind of a person with gender disphoria so they find their own more convenient diagnosis; in this case it is simply labelled unhappiness.

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that I was less happy when I was trying to mask or suppress something that I have always known about myself. But wise people like Dr. Berger would have me and other gender variant people go back to his version of happy.

For me its not about toilets, its about the idea that so called experts can be so incredibly thick. Not everything is provable through science but people like Dr. Berger would have you believe that millions of people on this planet are all suffering from the same delusion.

Well bully for him.

Comments

  1. Not ideological zealots. Simply those who disagree with the zealotry of the twans-wacktivists, advocating such goofy ideas such as "speshul" privileges for separate groups of gender-fluid people.

    Think about that. Do you really want people lie Paul Witherspoon, Colleen Francis or Autumn Sandeen sharing a shower or locker room with your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @AQV - do you mean people like you??? :-) As long as they are TS and have had SRS and aren't some sort of sexual deviant (I assume that you fit in this group), they should be allowed to use the showers they identify with. I don't know the people you listed so I have no idea what their status is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AQV you're missing the point. The bathroom issue is being used as a smokescreen to denigrate the idea that these people have a valid condition. You are in fact one of the people Berger refers to as being mentally ill by the way.

    No one is proposing having a male bodied person showering in a woman's locker room conversely a trans person should be able to discreetly use a stall in the ladies room without being arrested. Better than using the men's and risking physical attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many people in this world who have no understanding or knowledge of these issues and stand on their own ideas based on religious principle or personal bias. It took me 2 years to convince my dogmatic sister that I wasn't playing dress up for fun but this was an intrinsic part of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay. I am trying to be civil. Don't push it.

    Actually it is you two who are turning a blind eye to an easily perceived reality. The bill in question references "public accommodation". That includes public showers and changing rooms. I ask you again. Would you be comfortable with the likes of Francis, Sandeen and Witherspoon showering naked with your daughter?

    Would you or "Lindsay" really feel comfortable showering in a public shower with other women?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @aqv, I did answer your original question. Do you want me to answer it again? OK, here goes (maybe you'll understand it this time): I would let my daughter take a shower with a transsexual who has gone through hormone treatments, SRS and is not any sort of sexual deviant (someone like you, as I assume you meet these 3 criteria). I know nothing of the other 3 people you mention so I have no opinion on them. As someone who is only partially transitioned and has not had SRS, I wouldn't qualify. Your first version of the question didn't have me as part of the equation. If I had transitioned and had SRS like you I would feel comfortable showering with other women.

    I also agree with Joanna that you're missing the point. This "doctor" is actually attacking all TS's including you. He thinks you're mentally ill. Don't you see that? He and others like him would kick you out of the ladies room if they knew your history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well no and that is not the point here as I mentioned. Its not about showers or toilets and I will repeat again its about dissing and dismissing gender disphoria by using this argument to paint the gender confused as mentally ill. Why are you not understanding me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes this is what I am trying to say lindsay...

    ReplyDelete
  9. " Rosenkreuz said...
    Okay, by the power vested in me by muh feelings, I'm a woman now. So I'm gonna take me and my big black 7 inch wang and my frumpy hausfrau dress into women's bathroom and there isn't shit you stupid girls can do about it.

    //snark over//

    Again, if there is no objective exclusionary definition of "transsexual" then anyone can declare themselves the opposite gender and attain access to whatever facilities they want. For these laws to be fully beneficial without having harmful side effects, they must effectively distinguish between "transsexuals" and "perverts and fakes" just like other laws that deal with protected categories, which at least attempt to distinguish between say, people who are disabled and people who pretend to be such to claim benefits (ignore the fact that these laws are often abused - the INTENT is to prevent non-disabled people from getting disabled benefits, the ideological transgenders are demanding the equivalent of being able to walk into an SSI office, declare oneself disabled, and walk out with a regular SSI check)"

    http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=944795231126319421&postID=3199699363992288035&isPopup=true

    ReplyDelete
  10. AQV according to berger you are a fake and mentally ill as well but you're doing a song and dance to avoid my original point. Berger does not make any distinction between fully transitioned or not but I give up now.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you are getting from Berger is a direct result of conflating TS with TG. Big, no..... HUGE difference. You guys finally seem to be "getting it".

    Also, I thought we were discussing the merits of some TG enabling bill being held up by those "evil, bigoted, ignorant conservatives" in your Parliament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " Canadian federal government's "bathroom bill," that is, Bill C-279,"

      This bill is being pushed MEN in dresses. This is why you are getting pushback. You will notice that fully assimilated women such a myself have never pushed for any of this since we need no other "rights" than those afforded to any and all women. Simple really.

      Delete
  12. No no no that's a smokescreen to denigrate ALL gender confused people....YOU included. Berger does not believe in TS or TG...its all the same to him. I don't give a hoot about toilets although I will continue to use the ladies room when out as joanna as I always have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, I'm in joke mode now. Please don't take this seriously:

    I know the solution. They need everyone to get a bathroom license! There'll be special bathroom training classes. You'll need to get biyearly inspections to make sure all your plumbing is working correctly and that you've had no modifications done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Works for me. Will it work for you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…