Skip to main content

two persons one body??

On page 139 of Harry Benjamin's book the Transsexual Phenomenon there is the life story of someone referred to as Ralph; a MtF transsexual (at the time age 67 and operated upon at age 58). In one portion Benjamin states:

"Many transsexuals have, in a sense, two identities, male and female, but this should not be confused with those cases of dual or multiple personality described in the psychiatric literature. Rather, the two identities are a practical, if strange, way of dealing with a real problem: the male identity which the individual is often obliged to assume in his contacts with others, and the female identity which he believes to be his true one, and which he assumes in private or when dressed as a woman.

In Ralph's case, the problem was formulated by him as Ralph = male = body; Clara = female = mind. Between these two, a dialogue would often be conducted, again as is not uncommon among transsexuals. Today, Clara remarks that "Ralph is now (since the operation) dead. Poor Ralph, he tried so hard to make a go of it." Ralph had "tried to be a man, but was always a woman." Clara, in those days, "was a woman, but was deformed by being trapped in the body of a man." Whenever Ralph would put on women's clothing, Clara would "take over completely" and Ralph would "cease to exist." Yet, Clara was always aware of Ralph's existence and dreaded the moment when she would have to yield to Ralph again - that is, have to go back to pretending to be a man and perform a man's functions in the world. Ralph always lived only for the moment when Clara could again take over and the painful pretense could end, at least for a time. When the transsexual is operated upon, this dichotomy and dialogue is finally ended, so that it may be said that an integration has been achieved."


I can identify with this passage quite well as in a sense there appears to be an almost schizophrenic situation at play here. There are'nt two people residing in the same body but yet two distinct personalities need to exist; one that needs to exist and work in the world and the other the true person wanting to be free.

As someone who is able to still go back to a male persona but relishes the time I can spend as a female, this passage does touch me in a very personal way and I can relate to it.

But what I have been finding is that as I have incorporated Joanna into my life in a more serene way, it has not taken away my desire to present as a male. In other words, I can put Joanna's things away and not feel the strong pangs of regret by going back into male mode.

In Ralph's (now Clara) case this was not a workable option but she still managed to make a go of it for 57 years presenting as a male which is quite remarkable.

Comments

  1. I findl one of the best aspects of being bi-gendered is the ability to move my mind from male to female mode and to match my dress to my mindset. I sense that I am more male than female but I cherish my time away from my macho side when I can let down my maleness and just dwell in a kinder, gentler, personna.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is only part of it for me Pat. Its actually part of what I feel as my core identity but I have decided not to throw away one side to favor the other. For some its not even a question to make that change and they would trade their male life in a heartbeat to be who they truly feel they are inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The root of my dysphoria was trying to maintain 2 personae and the main issue was my male side trying to suppress my female side. Only by recognizing that I really only had one personae and that I could only really be happy just being myself was I able minimize it. I think most people really care about what other people think of them and it's a huge hurdle to overcome, but it's necessary to overcome if we (or at least I) are going to find happiness.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  4. the more I have succeeded in melding both sides, the more I have started to feel whole. Joanna is not an appendage but simply part my personhood. For some this is not possible because the female is the one true and overwhelming identity such as in types V and VI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is interesting in that i have had this discussion with my neighbor who is a psychotherapist.
    and when a few years ago i mentioned the schizophrenic type situation he said " no it isn't the same as you know who you are even when out as your female self. vs a schizophrenic who looses that knowledge of who they are while they are one of their other personality"

    in my case i really like both selves (sort of twin souled) even though my diana side keeps nudging a bit more as time goes on. i thought we had an understanding that if she takes over entirely she will have killed off her male host. but she still persists in nudging for more. *sigh*

    accepting and coming out to most around me (even though i am not planning upon transitioning although i do have a TS cousin that did transition in her late 50's whom i have only recently come to know) has actually been a great help as now i no longer have to hide in the shadows

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana I think that coming out and not hiding is key. The other aspect is to try and blend both "halves" (if you will) as much as you can so that the dressing is'nt dressing but just being who you are. I know that's helped me enourmously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So are you a different person as Joanna?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…