Skip to main content

Striking a balance...

It occurred to me the other day that Joanna is known by at least 50 people if not more. Besides my close acquaintances, there are numerous merchants whose businesses I have been a patron of who know me as a middle aged woman and mother to 2 teens.

I am still dumbfounded that this is even possible because, not that long ago, I would never have believed that I could ever be taken for a female in such close quarters and face the scrutiny of genetic females. People smile at me when they see me and ask me about my life. They tell me it’s been a while since they’ve seen me and seem more than happy to spend a few minutes chatting.

As certain as I am that I will never transition, I still cherish the fact that I have gotten to such a level of comfort with my female persona; so much so that I would now feel comfortable attending a conference, taking a course or even working part time in a store as a woman.

N, the woman that I love, wants no part of this which is fine with me. When we first reunited after all those years there were early attempts at outings with me ``en femme`` but it ultimately did not work out. She began to feel that this would affect the way she saw me as a male which in turn prompted me to become self conscious about how I moved or spoke for fear it would affect our relationship.

It’s not at all obvious for a normal genetic female to see her partner in this way. I have seen blogs written by accepting wives of transitioning husbands, but the vast majority of marriages involving transition end in divorce. If you are fortunate, you may be able to entertain the possibility that you remain friends.

I desire to build a life with N so what remains for me now is to balance my existence as both male and female in such a way that neither side overwhelms the other. I think I am starting to do that but it’s not an easy thing to do. Balance requires giving each side it’s due.

For example, I start work very early in the morning such that by 4 pm I am home and usually changing into Joanna mode so I can step out for a bit. N and I might see each other on a Wednesday and every Friday night. Saturday during the day is time spent with my kids and Saturday evening and most of Sunday is spent with N although Sunday morning I will usually try and attend mass as Joanna.

The total time spent crossdressed per week is probably in the range of 6 to 10 hours which represents less than 10% of my waking hours.

The other day we had a plumbing problem in the building where I live and since I am the condo association president I stayed home to wait for the serviceman to arrive. I decided that since I would have time to spend afterwards as Joanna, I would simply present as her rather than change afterwards. All went well and he left being certain he had dealt with a middle aged woman.

I thought afterwards that it would have made little difference to him to him whether I was a crossdressed male or a genetic female. For me, however, the fact I was able to present successfully as Joanna made all the difference in the world.

Comments

  1. Thanks for you thoughtful post.

    There are many of us who love to present as a woman but have no intention to transition. Finding balance in this situation is very difficult. I admire the way you and N have found a way. Best wishes to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a matter of finding a balance that works for two people. It is good to be in a committed loving relationship and having separated living quarters allows each party the freedom to kick back.
    Good luck going forward.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you once again for the very positive feedback Pat....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

understanding the erotic component

I have written about crossed wires before in two separate posts. The idea is that one cannot pass through puberty and the development of sexual feelings for females and not have your pre-existing gender dysphoria be impacted through your psychosexual development. The hormone responsible for your libido is testosterone which is present in much stronger concentration in males and is why gynephilics are most likely to experience erotic overtones as the conflict between romantic external feelings and their pull towards the feminine become permanently intertwined.

Because I came from a deeply religious family where sex was not discussed much at all, I grew up with little access to information and was very much ignorant of matters relating to the subject. With no firsthand experience in intercourse until I married I was then faced with the reality that my ability to perform sexually had been deeply impacted by my dysphoric feelings. This began years of turmoil and self-deprecating thoughts …

a blending

An interesting thing is happening to me: as I have fully embraced being transgender my male and female anima are becoming blended. The female side is no longer an unwelcome appendage which, as a result, has allowed me to craft a more genuine and happier male image.

I dress when I want to and sometimes I cut outings shorter than before. I am my own master in this regard and feel in control.

Don't get me wrong in that the dysphoria is not going away and is sometimes like a wild stallion that threatens to jump the fence but I have learnt to understand it’s demands after all these years hence a transition for me is definitely not in the cards. At this point I am not even foreseeing a social one.

The two sides are no longer in conflict and they are now intertwined to create a fusion that is unique to me. That answer finally came when I reached a full level of self assurance about who I am and learned to embrace that I am trans and yes, that includes my dysphoria's erotic undertones…