Skip to main content

Prejudice

The writer and post-operative transsexual Jennifer Boylan has a page on a website I used to frequent called “PinkEssense”.

What I find odd is that while she describes herself as a “post-operative transsexual” she details the following individuals in her “I am not interested in” field of her page: “Cross Dressers, Sissies, Fetishes, Post-Op Transsexuals, Non-op Transgenders, Pre-Op Transgenders”

It gives the impression that while she understands where she came from and what she is, she no longer wants anything to do with the transgender community. Perhaps I am wrong here but that is the distinct impression it left with me.

I know I have been guilty of the same at times because in my early outreach period of my life; back when I was trying to find people like myself to meet and discuss with I was left with the distinct feeling that it was going to be hard to find a kindred spirit.

It was not an automatic thing that because you shared a history of crossdressing and/or gender confusion that you were going to become great friends and my meetings with various individuals led to, at most, three or four meetings before we ended contact.

It’s funny because whether you are a stealth transsexual or a crossdresser one common link seems to be that neither one wants others to know who they really are or were. One wants to hide their previous history as a male while the other is embarrassed by their dressing activity being made public to those who would not understand or find such a thing abhorrent.

I don’t blame either individual for doing something to protect themselves and their families but neither does a service to advance the cause of education and understanding among society at large.

Another regrettable aspect of our community is that while we are afraid of those outside, we are also deeply divided and prejudiced towards others based on who is more genuine and more real. Crossdressers, for example, need not apply.

I think an openness of spirit and a genuine desire to get to know the real person before us is what is required. The transsexual can befriend the crossdresser and agree to a relationship based on their common humanity. The transgender and non-transgender can and should do the same.

If Jennifer Boylan meant something else then I apologize for my inference but if I am right then perhaps a change of spirit and attitude might be required.
It makes no sense to me that people who have suffered gender identity issues at any level should discriminate against each other based on where they are on the gender spectrum. There is enough prejudice in this world to begin with and those of us who have suffered because of this issue should know better.

I am trying to be as out as possible in my life and that has helped me feel better about myself and, in so doing, feel more compassion for others who have their own crosses to bear.

I am not surprised by prejudice because I have seen it all my life and have witnessed its effects on people who have been discriminated against based on colour, creed, skin colour, orientation, height, weight, etc.

If you stand out you are a target but the best defence is to ignore the madding crowd and be yourself while at the same time being compassionate and understanding towards others.

This is often a very hard thing to do it seems but it’s also the right thing.

Comments

  1. Hi Joanna,

    I know what you mean. It seems like Jennifer would like to be considered a real woman now. If she wants to avoid contact with the trans community she shouldn't identify herself as a post-operative transsexual and just go with woman. But then nobody would read her blog. It's hard not to draw the conclusion that she's just doing it to be spiteful.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is correct Lindsay. I find this way of thinking very odd...

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe lindsey meant in a romantic manner; the reason i'm thinking this is the fact that i've frequented various chat sites just to commune with others of the LGBT community and there are always people there attempting to pick up someone in the room to fullfill their fantasies. it does get annoying getting unwanted attention from people like that. the room informs these people that it isn't that type of site and usually they leave us be to gossip and discuss matters of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post, Joanna. I know and have met, face-to-face, at least a couple hundred who identify as either CD or TS. While I identify as TS, I hold no disregard towards my friends in the CD community. Indeed, for most of us there's a period when we're not sure just where we are in the spectrum and being around others helps you to better understand yourself.

    I have several friends who have transitioned. Most of them began their journey by joining transgender groups and all who did learned much from their CD sisters. It's interesting to see the crossdressers help their transsexual sisters take their first steps into the outside world by assisting with clothing, giving them confidence, etc.

    Once the transsexuals complete their transition, they go off to live their own lives and most do want to be as stealth as possible. I get it. And, therein lies the dilemma for someone who has completed her or his transition: They don't want to hang with their en-femme CD pals because they feel they will be clocked. They don't want to hurt them, but most crossdressers simply do not pass because they haven't had the surgeries, hair removal, etc.

    It's a hard choice for the fully transitioned woman, now out on her own. These good people who helped her so much when she was beginning her transition can actually hurt her now, just be being around her.

    I haven't transitioned, but I've learned so much from my crossdressing and transsexual friends. I do think that Jennifer's "I'm not interested in" comment may be taken out of context but, as Lindsay says, why does she bother blogging to the transgender community when she should just get on with her life and leave the past behind?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly Calie! Its almost like still being involved but looking down instead of appreciating that some of us crossdressers might be more or somewhere in between CD and TS....I think the best approach is to realize that each of us has reasons to do what we do and there is no hierarchy in place here. We are all human beings and that's enough....thanks for your feedback

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…