Skip to main content

We like our certainty

I’ve been fascinated by the idea of labeling of late. We all seem very interested in understanding ourselves as people so by knowing what category we belong to we are somehow comforted.

However labeling is a double edged sword and things are not always as clear cut as they seem.

For example, when Ray Blanchard was doing his work with pre-op transsexuals he found that roughly 15% of his androphilic (man loving) group was experiencing what he was terming autogynephilia. Anne Lawrence (one of his principal acolytes) confirmed this herself in a series of interviews conducted in the early 2000’s with a significant group of pre-op and post op transsexuals. You can find segments of these interviews and emails on her website.

But why did this occur and why was there no definitive pattern to Blanchard’s typologies? Because real life does not work like that and the theories postulated to explain certain behaviours in transsexuals were in the end too simplistic.

I found it odd when reading the writings of Anne Lawrence that she was a keen adopter of Blanchard’s work and gleefully self identified as an AGPer but then successfully transitioned and continues to live life happily as a woman. Does that even make sense?

If, as Blanchard postulated, Lawrence was a fetishist male who was in love with her own image as a woman why was her surgery even approved? Was she not more like the regret filled Renee Richards who now calls herself an intense CD who would have benefited from better drugs and psychoanalysis?

For Blanchard, Anne Lawrence is actually a man who fantasized and masturbated about becoming a female; however the end result was a happier Anne Lawrence after surgery. This does not make sense to me at all because if you are actually a man then you should not desire to have the surgery in the first place and this is all fetish based then why not just simply dress up as a woman to your heart’s content?

As I quoted Lynn Conway saying a few posts ago, all of this is more complicated than meets the eye.

Then we have de transitioners like Philip Porter who lived successfully for 26 years as a female only to go off female hormones and then realize he wanted to be a man again. Porter fit the perfect profile of a very feminine and early transitioning androphilic and yet he is happily (in his fifties) living life as a gay man.

Things are indeed not that simple and there are always exceptions to what we think should be the rules. But people want explanations and they want certainty. It’s more comforting to know that you are a normal male or female and not something in between so we look for definitive answers where none actually exist.

Human sexuality and gender expression are exceedingly complex concepts.

I have been trying to find answers to my own behaviour my entire life with no success but I carry on with a lack of certainty regarding an origin which no longer really matters to me.

Life is what it is and, more often than not, it defies definition or explanation.
Anne Lawrence

Comments

  1. Definitions provide certainty and thee is a level of comfort that one can find in the certainty of a definition but trying to force a label onto something that does not fit exactly is like trying to force a size 10 foot into a siz3 8 shoe only more difficult because both definitions and people change.
    In some ways society is coming to understand that having the gray areas between hard catagories is a good thing but in other ways we seek hard definitions.
    People change their desires and inclinations as well as their positions all the time and in many ways. As I kid I would not eat fish or veggies. That is not the same today. People even change their politics.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. In human affairs (unlike the sciences) life is a series of greys instead of absolutes and every time you think you have found perfect consistency to some element of human behaviour you soon find evidence that your theory was wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

understanding the erotic component

I have written about crossed wires before in two separate posts. The idea is that one cannot pass through puberty and the development of sexual feelings for females and not have your pre-existing gender dysphoria be impacted through your psychosexual development. The hormone responsible for your libido is testosterone which is present in much stronger concentration in males and is why gynephilics are most likely to experience erotic overtones as the conflict between romantic external feelings and their pull towards the feminine become permanently intertwined.

Because I came from a deeply religious family where sex was not discussed much at all, I grew up with little access to information and was very much ignorant of matters relating to the subject. With no firsthand experience in intercourse until I married I was then faced with the reality that my ability to perform sexually had been deeply impacted by my dysphoric feelings. This began years of turmoil and self-deprecating thoughts …

a blending

An interesting thing is happening to me: as I have fully embraced being transgender my male and female anima are becoming blended. The female side is no longer an unwelcome appendage which, as a result, has allowed me to craft a more genuine and happier male image.

I dress when I want to and sometimes I cut outings shorter than before. I am my own master in this regard and feel in control.

Don't get me wrong in that the dysphoria is not going away and is sometimes like a wild stallion that threatens to jump the fence but I have learnt to understand it’s demands after all these years hence a transition for me is definitely not in the cards. At this point I am not even foreseeing a social one.

The two sides are no longer in conflict and they are now intertwined to create a fusion that is unique to me. That answer finally came when I reached a full level of self assurance about who I am and learned to embrace that I am trans and yes, that includes my dysphoria's erotic undertones…