Skip to main content

those ebbs and flows....

We are all too human and subject to our little ups and downs.

My dysphoria bounces along with my biorhythms and sometimes both conspire to play with my confidence about where I am with my life balancing act. In general I am very positive but the tiny shifts in my mood which can occur on a daily (if not hourly) basis make us victims to doubt and worry.

The key is to be aware that you are suffering a temporary setback and that things will soon return to your normal baseline.

Yesterday was a good example. I had a wonderful Sunday with N and yet was feeling a little negative about my dysphoria and how I am managing it.

Am I being selfish? I ask myself that question on a regular basis.

Sometimes I am feel that I am and on other occasion am more than certain I am not. In truth this condition is tricky to manage and as well as I understand my brain process now after many decades of living with it, there are those days where you feel you will never get the formula down pat.

I think my dressing frequency has helped me enormously but that can lead to excluding those closest to me from my life. N and my children don't need to be involved with Joanna so they are necessarily left out so that I can stay balanced and happy. If that implies selfishness then that is something I will need to accept as curbing back now is an unthinkable proposition.

I desperately don't want to go back to that place of repression and suffocation of who I am so that others can see only the male they have come to know.

So I suppose there are days when I resent having to hide Joanna but along with those finicky biorhythms the feeling passes and all is well again.

No one ever said this would be easy.



Comments

  1. I've found that the more I rid myself of the shame and guilt the more intense my desire is for cross gender expression. The more I realize that I've been a woman in a man's body this whole time the more everything begins to make sense for myself. It explains everything and makes my drive for cross gender expression more intense as well. I'm surviving in a male body at this point by slowly allowing myself subtle cross gender expression as a constant in my life. Yet I always feel the desire to go deeper and have yet reached an equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh I can completely relate. Take things infenetesminally slow and get to know yourself. One baby step at a time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…