Skip to main content

the weight of expectation

I am highlighting an excerpt from the pages of a crossdressing male who calls himself Ruthie:

“Like a lot of men, I have questioned my dressing against the role which society expect a man to play. You see, unfortunately the old stigma is still lurking in the shadows of hypocritical people, who love to try and hurt people like us with venomous comments, while hiding behind a confident disguise covering their own insecure small minded lives. These are the very kind of minority who will never go that far in life on their own and they choose to criticise rather than acknowledge that no two people are alike and can do something different, as well as being happy doing it. So the answer is easy really, STUFF society and what they think. You have one life, so live it and enjoy dressing for whatever reason you do it for. Don't feel guilty, don't go and fling your clothes away and don't let the wife use it as an excuse to divorce you, as she is probably jealous that you look better than she does anyway. Enjoy yourselves; you are not harming anything or anyone. Being true to yourself is the best life plan to follow”

This bio statement reminded me of how I once measured my cross gender expression against the expectations placed upon me as a male and how hard I was being on myself for simply doing something that came naturally to me.

Here Ruthie gets it right.

Ruthie and I are not the same. Her site includes photos which show she is more a provocative dresser and likely is more on the fetish side of the spectrum. She describes in her bio that she began young and enjoys the sensual aspects of dressing. There is nothing wrong with that.

In being true to her own nature she has found a formula that works for her. Maybe she dresses once a month and goes to a club and then goes back to a normal life as a husband and father. The intrinsic message is that so many of us no matter where we lie on the transgender spectrum have spent countless hours fighting our own natures in order to comply with what others think is right. There is no objective right here however and in hurting no one with your activity you need not be ashamed or feel guilty.

No one understands why some children become crossdressers or transsexuals but if this is the life path chosen for you then you must follow it because fighting against something uselessly serves no purpose; most especially if that something harms no one.

In trying to avoid some discomfort for others and meet the weight of societal expectation, we shouldn’t need to harm ourselves in the process.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…