Skip to main content

accepting your hard coding

Cross gender expression is often seen as most negative by the people who know the least about it. My sister who is deeply devout Catholic used to see it as an obsessive and sexually driven behaviour. I pleaded for her to become educated in the subject but instead she would point me to religious zealots or repentant ex-dressers who said they had been cured.

Invariably I would scratch the surface of these writings and immediately find the weak points and spell them out for her. Often the people most objectionable were the least educated on the topic and astonishingly biased to begin with. Most had an axe to grind.

For the better part of two years, my sister kept trying to make me see the light. But it wasn’t until she herself found the website of Chris Pagani the transgendered artist that she began to have her epiphany and realise that there was more than met the eye. Chris not only thoroughly explains her life long struggle with gender dysphoria but does so such much eloquence and convincing candour that you are hard pressed to ignore it.

My sister was the one who actually found her site and offered it to me as a great resource. She is now far more educated on the topic of dysphoria.

As I have said here recently, not all cross gender expression is rooted in the same causes and what one finds disruptive and unsettling about it in their own lives, another finds comfort, peace and joy.

Harry Benjamin was famously quoted as saying that “The transvestite has a social problem” and he was entirely correct. It is not the individual that has the problem but the reaction everyone else has to it. Once that obstacle is removed, the individual can truly be themselves and relax. However if your wife, children and extended family ostracize you, there will of course be repercussions of guilt and shame that will be felt. A desire for a cure will be first and foremost on that person’s mind.

This was my life before I came to be myself and the struggle that brought me to begin this blog. It was a hard fought battle but very worthwhile for it allowed me to look under every rock and every cranny to get to the core of argument. I needed to read Benjamin and Vitale and get to the science and forget the crackpots.

Eliminating my fears and preconceived notions was instrumental and in the process of finding who I was came the end of a marriage. However, it turned out to be the best solution for all. My 16 year old daughter recently told me that she could not envision nor desire to see her mother and I back together and I could not have agreed with her more but in my darkest moments I could never have envisioned this truth. She knows I dress and could care less; so does my son.

This condition is hard wired in a great many of us and accepting it and dealing with it positively is the only way to a successful and happy existence.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…