Skip to main content

overexposed

We may rapidly be approaching transgender overexposure. It’s in the news, on social media and more and more people seem to be claiming the spotlight to announce their intent to transition.

Take fighting promoter Frank Maloney who announced recently of his intent to start living as a woman named Kellie at 60 years of age but then shows up on the UK version of Big Brother. Don’t get me wrong in that I am happy for her but I can’t help but feel that this appearance on a low brow program such as this only fuels the idea in some people’s minds that this whole transgender thing isn’t very dignified; only crazy people and mad artists need apply.

We have seen transitions in all walks of life and education levels and indeed, gender dysphoria does not discriminate in who it touches but I would like to hope that those who live in the public eye would be aware of the responsibility that they carry. They need to be seen in the best possible light to illustrate that we are as normal and balanced as the next person. We just happen to have a condition we need to deal with.

As much as N sympathizes with this whole issue she has mentioned to me that having so many Huffington Post stories on transgender topics makes her want to roll her eyes. I can’t say that I blame her too much although at the same time I realize that educating the public can be a double edged sword.

By exposing an issue this much you sometimes allow all of the little crevices and imperfections to show through.


Kellie Maloney Celebrity Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother favourite, White Dee, George Gilbey, Frank Maloney, Boxing promoter, transgender,
Kellie Maloney on Celebrity Big Brother


Comments

  1. I tend to agree that most of the publicity does focus on the more newsworthy/shocking components but in some ways that also serves to advance the cause.
    The more that the general public sees or hears or learns of someone dealing with gender issues the less 'out of the ordinary' a man in a dress may seem to them.
    Over time there has been a growing acceptance of LGBT people. Things are still evolving. What concerns me as a plain, ordinary guy who likes to dress and present as a woman is that to a large measure simple cross dressers are not out in the open and are not understood. Somehow it has become accepted that if someone has such gender conflicts that they have to seek surgery to transition that is OK but somone's whose gender issues can be sated with only part time dressing is someone who may not need the dressing outlet at all.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat I think the problem lies with the crossdressers themselves who think they have to hide from the public eye. I know you are not one of them and your dressing does not represent a gender conflict for you. If there were more like you out there the world would see just how commonplace this activity is. Not everyone has severe gender dyasphoria and needs to transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ......and everyone knows a crossdresser but they do not let themselves be known which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…