Skip to main content

our newest challenge

We have come to a fork in the road where we never imagined we’d be. People are asking themselves what makes a man or a woman and the ensuing opinions sometimes fall along political lines.

Very broadly, conservative people tend to think of birth sex as the determining factor whereas liberals tend to be more in tune with the idea that the identity in our brain is what determines our true gender.

This is an issue that is increasingly coming to the foreground as transgender people are more visible and enter into our mainstream existence. They want to join the scouts or enter a beauty pageant and suddenly we are faced with a dilemma. This will only be happening more frequently as transgender people, because they don't desire to or cannot, do not begin their new lives in stealth.

But what should be the right answer?

I think the common sense approach would be to let people be who they are. Already we suffer enough discrimination along gender lines without the transgender question being present. Women tend to be paid less for equal work and are generally seen as being less stable employees because of the question of pregnancies and maternity leaves. I know this is slowly changing but we are not where we need to be.

Now add the explosive cocktail of the transgender question and things get even more complex.

I feel that having these questions rise to the surface is a good thing because it forces us to examine them and not bury our heads in the sand and plead ignorance. What we are seeing of course is an explosion of ignorant comments and opinions but that is to be expected. It took me many years to begin to understand my own condition so how can we expect the public to suddenly get it overnight?

No these changes will not come easily but they will come whether some people like it or not. Transgender people are challenging the courts and the institutions that have been built along a gender divide that wasn’t always fairly established nor justifiable.

What will hopefully happen is that by closely re-examining our basic beliefs we will witness a new level of tolerance which provides better outcomes for all.


Comments

  1. I have been putting my thoughts together on this subject of pay discrimination. Broadly speaking I think most firms will use any rule of thumb to keep there costs down - though I may be wrong ?
    So over a period of time I shall ask some of the women SEO's that I know, what rule they apply.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…