Skip to main content

pagentry

Womanless pageants seem to involve two distinct types of participants. One is the archetype of the macho male who is a good sport and clearly does not want to try too hard while the other is the almost feminine and convincing type who could almost pass with just a little more effort.

Both are representative of what is found in the male population. After all just like women are not all girly and feminine not all men are overtly masculine either. To some degree we all play a game so that we can be seen to fit within the confines of expectation.

The macho type will wear flip-flops and won’t bother shaving their legs while the feminine ones do shave plus wear the latest fashionable heels. It’s interesting also to note that within a given pageant you rarely see both extremes; in other words some regions, causes and/or age groups put on different types of pageants which either make a comic mockery of femininity or at the other extreme almost celebrate it.

Some men clearly feel ashamed and awkward while there are those who are almost comfortable and unassuming about it.

The psychology of all this is fascinating because there has been so much stigma around the male role in western society. To be seen as being feminine is to be weak and ineffectual. After all, this is what nature requires: a comforting and protective male who does not show any frailty.

Women laugh in the audience or squeal when they see their classmates or work colleagues come out in a dress. Is this because they think these men are demeaning themselves? why is it so amusing to them? there is definitely some intriguing and very basic human psychology going on here. It's clear in my mind that if the pageant roles were reversed the contest wouldn't hold the same interest or have the same impact. Its for this same reason that women can wear an outfit consisting entirely of male apparel and have no one question their gender identity.

Interestingly, these pageants seem to take on their best forms in the southern States which is also where the womanless wedding was born. Is this because these regions were more respectful of the grand dame of the household perhaps? It is hard to know.

When I was young the last thing you could have done was put me in a dress in public; even if I secretly desired it. I recall needing to go to a Halloween party in my early 20’s and searching for last minute ideas. When my mother suggested that I borrow some of her clothing I balked at the idea instantly. Of course she had no clue back then about my situation and how I had raided her closet from a very young age.

As we redefine what it means to be a man and a woman in this new age I can see the walls of convention crumbling. Some of these young men now don dresses and then comfortably go back to their male identity without the slightest hint of self-consciousness.

I for one am glad to see it.


Comments

  1. Excellent post, Joanna. If you were raiding your mother's closets, maybe she did know and was just trying to encourage you to be the girl you wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha maybe you are right Stana although she still claims she did not know at all until I told her many years later

      Delete
  2. I think women laugh and squeal at us because it makes them anxious that we can do it and actually do a great job at it and compete with them. They are uncomfortable with that and some would rather keep us in our place and remind us who were were originally. They don't want us competing with them. You can find the same thing in marriages when the wife gets nervous or irritated at the transgender husband who spends more time on her femininity -looks, clothes, makeup etc than the wife. .

    I am simply talking about the ones that are laughing the loudest. I think most women are very good about it and accept us and we can respect each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its funny Liza because N really doesn't like seeing me in Joanna mode. Its because she has a vested romantic interest. I think most women might laugh because some of the emulations are comical or because the guy cant walk properly in heels. But there might also be an aspect of humiliation there where our conditioning tells us that the man is doing something he shouldn't and there is inherent nervousness which leads to laughter....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…