Skip to main content

disproving the unprovable

Some of the more analytically minded among us have been actively working to disprove the work of Ray Blanchard; one the most noteable example being Julia Serano. My question would be why?

I am among the loudest critics of his work but I don't need to disprove it, I only need to point to its gaping flaws. His hypothesis is that presence of a phenomena is a driver for something else. The hitch of course is that he lacks conclusive proof. I as the defense lawyer need do nothing because the onus is on the prosecuting attorney.

If I use my own life as an example, I credit the presence of any erotic overtones with being one of the primary drivers in preventing me from transitioning instead of directing me towards it. I am a borderline transsexual and if you read the early days of this blog and this was the aspect that terrified me the most. I just wanted to be normal.

Has Blanchard failed to provide the burden of proof? absolutely. There is nothing to disprove then.

I make a counter proposal here on a regular basis: that the presence of any erotic overtones are part and parcel of the contradiction inherent in having gender dysphoria, a body powered on male hormones and being heterosexual.

My assertion has just as much validity as Blanchard's. Go ahead and prove that I am wrong.

At this point only one of two things will change my mind: Blanchard builds a scientifically solid case or I stop using my head. Neither of which is likely to happen anytime soon.

Perhaps disproving the unprovable is burning energy for naught.



Comments

  1. Joanna,

    I just recently came across your blog and I absolutely love it. Your theory that the erotic overtones may simply arise from being heterosexual, transgender, and flooded with testosterone is marvelous. Why not? But I must say that the feelings were with me even as a child in grade school... it was erotic in its own way. So I've wondered if perhaps the feelings also arise from the fantasy of being "right in the world," my true gender. It does feel great after all, doesn't it?

    As for Blanchard: I feel he did a lot of harm to many including me, adding to my shame instead of helping contribute to helpful understanding and compassion. That is simply unconscionable in my book. I wonder where I'd be if I'd never had to contend with his crap.

    Anyway, thanks for your blog. I am very much looking forward to exploring it and learning from you.

    Hugs,

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma I am glad to help in any way. The best way to fight misinformation is to read up and learn. This is what I did and found the emperor had no clothes. Not everyone is as bothered as I was but for me the exercise helped me come to terms with who I was because this is how my mind works. I needed to look beyond the curtain only to see a tiny man operating a megaphone and an effect machine (remember the wizard of Oz?). This is now how I think of Blanchard. Be well!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…