Skip to main content

here we go again....

Walt Heyer keeps showing up on conservative websites which run his story alongside the familiar rants on gun control, traditional family values, taxes and how Obama is ruining the country.

God knows I wish Walt well but he seems to be the only poster child for why anyone who has had gender reassignment should immediately recant.

Everything I have read about him is that he had a very troubled period where he was cleared for surgery before being properly being screened for mental health issues.

Except that Walt uses the “throw the baby out with the bath water” approach of smearing the entire transgender movement by stating that his story applies to all others; a leap which is nothing short of disingenuous. The best he should say is that this decision was not for him and finish there. But he doesn’t and in the story I am linking to he states that he “used to be transgender”.

Except that you are or you are not. It’s not a multiple choice question.

I am on the record here many times as stating that gender reassignment should be undertaken on a must do basis and is not for the faint of heart. But I defer to the judgment of the people who have done so by assuming that they knew what they were doing. If they are happy many years later then more power to them.

Walt Heyer's story appeals to people who think transgender people are the product of mental illness and who better to instruct them than someone who attests that they were once among their ranks. I am not certain what Mr. Heyer's state of mind has been over all these years as only he is in a position to know. What he has to gain by feeding misinformation to people who seem hungry for it is another question entirely as is exactly how he is helping those who are not lining up to get their money back after their surgeries.

Mr. Heyer purports to want to help transgender people see the light by pandering to misinformed intolerants and in the story he trashes the work of Harry Benjamin someone who spent a lifetime studying this complex subject.

This blog began as a search for self understanding and now operates on a very simple and novel idea: unless you know exactly what you are talking about and can put yourself directly in the skin of another person mind your own beeswax. I know this is not how the world operates but we can aim for ideals.

This is one of those times I am not sure who I find more annoying the Blanchardians or the transgender deniers.

You can read the story here.


Comments

  1. I read his story and do not advocate it to be an honest effort.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…