Skip to main content

more on Kenneth Zucker

A number of blog posts ago I mentioned the ouster of Kenneth Zucker from Toronto’s infamous CAMH institute which was also the former stomping grounds of one Ray Blanchard.

Before I direct you to New York Magazine's very comprehensive story about his dismissal, I wanted to express some further thoughts on the subject of conversion therapy and the diagnosing of very young children with gender dysphoria.

Firstly, I think that children should be left alone to express themselves and in this way I feel what Zucker was trying to do was incorrect. In the article there is reference made to a very effeminate boy who Zucker attempted to “cure” ultimately ending up as a gay male. In essence this boy could have been left to his Barbie dolls and dresses and he likely would have ended up in the same place save for the strife of having his toys taken away by force. One of my own nephews would scoff today at his penchant for barbies and princess dresses during his early childhood.

Conversely the notion that prepubescent children should be put on puberty blockers worries me. There is a fine line sometimes between freedom of gender expression and identity and you are certainly not going to recognize that distinction in a child of that age. Therefore I feel that the best approach is to let the child be themselves but without interference in either direction. This means no conversion therapy but no discouragement of behavior either.

When this individual grows to the age of consent they can do what they will but at least they will not have been swayed one way or the other.

At the end of the day, the CAMH was not really a good place for pre-transition transsexuals or for trans- kids with its archaic practices yielding bizarre and improvable pseudoscience from a sexologist and questionable practices from a child psychologist. Let’s chalk both of these up to errors of the past.

But let’s also be cautious that this new thinking on transgender issues does not result in children being guided towards potentially needless transitions. Because with today’s freedom of gender expression, many people could easily be happy keeping their bodies intact and simply dressing and behaving as they choose.

You can read the very comprehensive article on Kenneth Zucker here.


Comments

  1. For me this whole drama illustrates what really causes all the suffering in among trans and queer people. The very people that want to "protect" male assigned kids from social ostracization, are reinforcing the very attitudes that cause that exclusion.

    Indeed, I am sure that many of the parents that seek out people like Zucker are both transphobic and homophobic. That does not mean that they do not love their child, but they do not love it as it is. I fear that many of them are driven by embarrassment. They fear their own social standing more than the one of their child.

    Zucker and Blanchard's crime is that they reinforce these attitudes, causing even more pain and suffering.

    I agree with you: Let the kids explore their own sexuality and identity. Most of them are neither trans nor homosexual. And if they are: Embrace them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack that is absolutely right. Don't push in either direction and let them decide.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…