Skip to main content

an important clarification

Most of the people whose blogs I frequent are transgender or transsexual. This means that the knowledge that something was different about them dates back to earliest memory and those who crossdress use it as a part of a strategy to manage their gender dysphoria. There is a section in Harry Benjamin's book where its proposed as a non-surgical treatment method for transsexualism.

When I was trying to find a solution for myself I would come upon websites that dealt with curing crossdressing desires. At the time I felt that I needed to heal from what I determined to be a curable abnormality. I sincerely believed that such sites could be helpful and provide inspiration. Ultimately they weren't and my understanding today that I am a borderline transsexual has completely changed my mindset on this issue.

I occasionally still come upon a site that proposes that one can be “cured” of the affliction of crossdressing which only gives me visions of some young transgender kid ending up there and not finding what they need. A sexual addiction is not the same thing as being transgender.

If one began to crossdress for the purposes of sexual gratification then its very likely one can stop because the dressing is not tied to identity. If it ultimately winds up causing distress then this is a significant sign that there might be a problem. However in general, transgender and transsexual people find relief by crossdressing.

I remember being very concerned about Catholic doctrine and so years ago I consulted a Monseigneur who told me it was at worst a morally neutral issue. But then he also reminded me that crossdressing is a verb and not a noun and that there was more to me as a person than whether I crossdressed or not. I never forgot that.

It is not uncommon for some transgender people to go through a phase where they identify as a crossdresser. This can sometimes help remove some stigma and avoid a potentially bigger question of whether there is something more to their desire to crossdress.

As for those who have successfully cured themselves from what they consider to be a sexual addiction? they are to be congratulated. But we are not all the same and we cannot be painted with the same brush.

This blog has always advocated the idea that transition should be a last resort and there are ways to cope with gender dysphoria. Crossdressing may just be one of those tools that works.

Comments

  1. Like you, I have no intention or desire to transition. As much as I would prefer to have been born female, transition at my age and situation would not be satisfying enough.
    Interestingly I prefer to think of myself as transgender, not a cross dresser. I also find relief in cross dressing but at least for now it's entirely at home and in private. I guess the reason I prefer the TG label is that then my cross dressing isn't really cross dressing. I'm just being more fully myself. It's not particularly erotic but I do experience a kind of endorphin charge at times.
    But this leads to a question that, given your volume of posts, perhaps you have already written about: do you see gender as a continuum between female and male? Or is it more bimodal with narrow distributions around the center of each curve?
    Several reasons to consider this. For example, am I truly a female gender but with male social conditioning? Or, as my therapist suggested recently, perhaps my uncertainties around my transgender-ness are a result of my brain's independently trying to protect myself by questioning my beliefs?
    I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma I definitely see gender identity as a continuum. This means that some will gravitate more towards the female or the male regardless of birth sex. The reasons someone would crossdress are varied but they range from entertainment to identity based. I wanted to make that distinction that we are not all the same and what works for one need not work for another.

      You are a combination of male and female and how you honour that is up to you. But it's expression need not be tied to a gender role transition unless you deem it's essential.

      Delete
  2. I tend to agree with the Monseigneur. Cross dressing is something I do. It gives me peace and purpose...pleasure and comfort. I do lots of other things in my life. I work, I eat and sleep. I drive a car. I ski and golf. I suppose to the same extent that at times I am a cross dresser I am also a worker, an eater, a sleeper, a driver a skier and and golfer. Some of these activities I do better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all as different as the stars on the heavens Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.