Tuesday, 19 April 2016

good on the New York Times

The New York Times pens another scathing editorial chastising some of the more backward thinking States passing these ridiculous transgender bathroom bills. I am afraid though that before sanity prevails we will see more lunes say and do bizarre things.

There is no other way to view these laws other than they are based on misinforned prejudice and hatred. Presumably they would prefer seeing a pre-op transsexual woman get assaulted by someone named Bubba wearing a "I love Jesus and guns" baseball cap in a men's bathroom.

I keep saying that there is no shortage of dim bulbs on this planet and I hope this issue doesn't divide the Americans the way slavery once did.

You can find the editorial here




4 comments:

  1. I do not agree very much with the New York Times but they have it right in this editorial. I especially like the quote from Sheriff Lott “In the 41 years I have been in law enforcement in South Carolina, I have never heard of a transgender person attacking or otherwise bothering someone in a restroom,” Sheriff Lott wrote in a letter to the committee studying the state’s bathroom bill. “This is a non-issue.” I am originally from Mississippi and we have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I have to wonder what you don't care for in the NYT. Too liberal? Maybe, I suppose it may be colored that way. For me (and no, I'm not telling you you're wrong) it speaks a lot of truths. And I admire their forthright coverage of transgender people and issues. Their report on transgender bathroom use remains on the front page this morning, and here's another article from yesterday's paper about an ESPN anchor who was fired for his posting rants about transgender issues and people:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/sports/baseball/curt-schilling-is-fired-by-espn.html

    Frankly I'm proud of the New York Times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, I read a daily Times Digest because I can't get a daily paper delivered where I live. I do like their reporting but I don't agree with some of their editorials. I too admire their forthright coverage of transgender people and issues. I already read the article on Curt Schilling and he doesn't have a clue. We still have a long way to go. Thanks Emma and Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks to you both for your comments! I was away on vacation and just read them.

    ReplyDelete