Monday, 30 May 2016

be free

There's never been a better time in history to be yourself. Never before has there been so much opportunity to show the world who you really are and have them listen. Think about how far we have come in the last 5 years. There has been more progress than in the previous 100.

I gained my liberty in my late forties but so many young people today have it early on. They understand what makes them tick and they don't waver. No matter what anyone thinks they brave taunts and sneers and present their unique face to the world rather than shrinking in fear.

Ivan Fahy is one such example of a gender nonconforming gay man who knows himself.

As I watched this TED talk I couldn't help but admire the courage I wish I had possessed at his age.

Ivan went to his high school graduation wearing his beloved high heels which he also wears here...


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely video, Joanna. I was really drawn into his so story, especially that about having to do things that fit "normal " within his peer group. I'm sure many of us feel that way and have had similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete