Wednesday, 4 May 2016

just one layer

I have come to view the sexuality of gynephilic transgender people as another layer of a larger and more complex picture. I think of it as a transparent film that forms part of many others glued together such that it cannot be separated from the rest.

Human sexuality is already complex enough but when you add having a desire to be female to the mix it becomes all the more so. What I have realized is that while this aspect is not driving me to transition it has adhered itself to my gender identity and wanes in significance with the passage of time.

People like us cannot naturally follow the prescribed rules of the binary because we were never equipped to do so. For whatever reason we were born with a difference that seemed to demand we go our own way right from the outset. Once you understand and accept this it makes it easier to function in life.

I was speaking to my mother yesterday and I mentioned that it might be a possibility that I could fully or partially socially transition once I retire. That is not very likely because I am very satisfied with the way things are right now. However, what was most interesting to me was that she did not bat an eyelash and she went on to mention that she had recently seen a very well put together crossdressed man at her local thrift shop. This is the kind of conversation I never would have dreamed of having with my soon to be 80 year old mother who is really is progressive is so many ways and wise about life.

That tends to happen when you've been around for a while although not everyone gets there.





No comments:

Post a Comment