Tuesday, 17 May 2016

those bumps and bruises

We cannot control our lives.

I am learning more and more to let go and just let life happen because every time I have tried to think I know where mine is going it changes once again. Living one day at a time is really going to be my way forward from now on.

As we get older we become more philosophical about life and the bumps and bruises we receive are, if not easier to bear, then at least part of what we have seen before. We understand that all will be better in time.

During my mother's 80th birthday celebration, I sat down with my 21 year old nephew . He felt so alone amidst the commotion of cousins and aunts and uncles because he has a very hard to treat strain of schizophrenia. He had just returned from a Caribbean cruise with his parents and siblings (along with their significant others) and while all were having a good time he spent much of the trip hearing voices.

He understands that he is not well and he looks at you with a hollow stare that betrays that something is not right. You could spot him in the crowd without me telling you who to look for; it's that obvious. He feels and looks so lonely.

I feel bad for his father who I also chatted with for a time and he struggles to find the right dosage of medications that will help his son lead a somewhat normal life. Nothing thus far seems to be working.

When I think I have problems I only need to think of his situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment