Wednesday, 20 July 2016

how I developed my female voice

I don't plan to make many videos but I thought I would this one in order to explain how I developed my female voice.

Voice has only been important to me because I didn't want to have it be an issue when I opened my mouth when presenting female. Early on I realized that I wasn't going to be able to have a relaxing experience when out as Joanna if people were going to be doing double takes. At first I took it as a challenge to see how far I could get with it and then found that it wasn't really all that hard by simply using the technique of recording myself into a cell phone and listening back until I had a working voice that I was happy with.

My voice is not particularly high so I am quite happy with the result I have achieved and I am never taken for a male on the phone when I use it. My aim was simply to have the voice not be in sharp contrast with the physical presentation.

It may seem counterintuitive to say but the better I have gotten with the combination of dress, makeup and voice the more I put away the idea that I would ever transition. My goal is to be able to manage my gender dysphoria and to do so in the best and most respectful manner possible.

Below you will find a short recording which starts with my female voice and moves briefly to the male before moving back to the female again. The technique is not to use falsetto but to pinch the vocal chords at the top such that you avoid the bottom register. In short, keep the voice coming from the top of the neck and away from the chest cavity area. It does take practice, its never going to be perfect and the time required to get there will vary from person to person so be patient with yourself if this is important to you.

It took me a few weeks to get there.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Joanna, you have a nice voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so working on this right now so thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so working on this right now so thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are more than welcome Maddie

    ReplyDelete