Skip to main content

of things beyond our understanding

When my doctor friend and I had dinner the other night he told me a chilling story which stayed with me and always will. As a preamble I will state that I am a spiritual person and so is he but even from a purely scientific standpoint its remarkable with a side that cannot be explained.

This particular evening a few years ago he was working in the emergency room. The ambulance brought in a young woman who had been killed in an automobile accident but there was a catch: she was visibly pregnant. He checked for any vital signs and looked at the pupils and confirmed that she was indeed dead. The focus was now on trying to save the life of the baby.

For this reason they put her on mechanical life support.

The husband was apparently travelling and it took a while to reach him but eventually they succeeded. By this time they had tried every possible manner of resuscitation but to no avail. Had she not been pregnant they would then have proceeded to harvest the organs as she had signed her donor card.

Two full days later for some unexplained reason she began breathing on her own and he wishes he had been around to see it. He still almost can't believe it because as a physician of more than 30 years experience he had never witnessed this before nor since. He was beyond astonished because there had been no brain or heart activity to speak of. This was no coma and she was technically deceased by all our current medical understanding. The machine only kept the heart pumping for the benefit of the unborn baby.

About a year later he needed to know how she was doing and he found out that a pediatrician colleague of his was seeing her baby. So he took slightly unorthodox measures of finding out when her next appointment was just to look upon her for himself.

He arrived at the waiting room that day and saw this young woman sitting alone with her baby. He approached slowly and as she looked up she saw his face and began to tear up. She rose from her seat and slowly put her arms around him and whispered "thank you for saving my life"

He was speechless. How on earth would she have been able to recognize him. She had arrived at the hospital already dead.

She then told him that she had heard and seen everything that was being done to her except that she had not been in her body. She felt she had somewhere to go but just couldn't and had to wait.

This is the single most chilling experience he has had over his career as a physician and he was so proud and happy to share it with me.

21 years ago I had to give my father an overdose of morphine to stop his heart which is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He was in the very last days of his battle with lung cancer and his emaciated body was laboring to breathe. The home care nurse had explained to me the signs to look for and to proceed with the injection. He was not in the hospital but at home and she only came once a week.

After administering the dosage a few minutes passed and then he was gone. I then felt something I have never felt before nor since and which I can only describe as a warm feeling of euphoria. I immediately turned to my youngest sister who was right next to me over his body and asked:

"Did you feel that?"

She answered back immediately:

"Yes what was that!?"

Comments

  1. I had the out of body experience when my appendix ruptured in hospital at 11 years old. As the pain from the toxins in my body became intolerable, My spirit left my body, through the top of my head. I consoled my parents and told them I was fine and no longer in pain. I witnessed the start of surgery in the operation room from above. I fell down the bright tunnel, was welcomed by deceased relatives, then a friendly voice said, "You must go back, there is much more for you to do yet." I began to go backwards down the tunnel and the next thing I remember is waking in the recovery room. Became a physicist, have 3 lovely daughters and eight grandchildren. There was more for me to do! You would enjoy. You might find "The Light Between Us" by Laura Lynn Jackson of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My paternal grandfather had a stoke and was hospitalized in Orlando. I knew he was very sick. My father was in Orlando to visit him. I was driving home late from work, I was in the middle of the causeway when this very strange feeling came over me and I knew that my grandfather had died. I got to my apartment and the phone was ringing. I answered the phone it was my sister and she said my name and I said to her " grandpa died". We both cried on the phone awhile before we could talk. I have never experienced anything like it again. My sister and I were very close to our grandfather much closer than any of my other sisters or cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Keith and Michelle for sharing your own experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very touched by your post. My level of spirituality tells me that there is more to this universe than that which we can readily see. My wife is very spiritual and she gets feelings from time to time that are uncanny and eerie but over the years I have come to trust her intuition.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…