Skip to main content

the hoards at the gates

I am following American politics a little more closely these days. The Republican National Convention through the eyes of The Young Turks has been particularly entertaining but also disheartening in that the level of animosity and vitriol coming from the right is at an intensity I have never seen before.

There is indignation and anger because the political fault lines are no longer just about schooling, taxes or health care but more about what kind of country the United States wants to be. Do they want to be a banana republic led by flag-waving jingoistic patriots who love guns and fringe religion or one based on justice, equality for all and achieving higher goals.

While neither party holds a monopoly on perfection it seems the Democrats are a little closer to getting there except that they have made their own mistakes. By having their own insiders derail the Sanders campaign they helped remove the candidate who might have had a better shot at defeating Donald Trump. Instead they have placed their bets on Hillary who has been branded the safe candidate but who no one likes all that much.

Bernie was too radical for some but then he also spoke to the worker who felt bad that he had lost his job while Clinton reeks of Washington establishment.

Trump, who is a populist buffoon, currently commands a lead in the polls leading me to think that a lot of Americans are currently not dealing from a full deck. You just need to watch this man for a few minutes on any broadcast to understand the depths of his inadequacy to hold any level of public office. I wouldn’t let him be the local dog catcher. He is that much of a disaster with unjustified smugness thrown in for good measure.

The YouTube youth core is doing their best against the older uneducated whites who think that Trump is a successful business man who tells it like it is. But judging from the polling numbers I’m beginning to wonder whether they will have any effect because they are preaching to their own loyal young demographic.

The disenfranchisement that many people feel has actually more to do with the level of injustice that is currently plaguing the country and the rest of the world. The American dream might just be a fantasy which has been replaced by those who are deemed worthy gleefully lining their pockets while the rest of the peasants are left staring in envy from outside the city gates.

If you want some evidence simply watch the film "The Big Short".


Comments

  1. I have never been more worried for my country than I am this year. I am so scared of what either candidate of the major parties will do to my country. I do not even want to think about congress. It is just down right depressing that out of a country of over 300 million people Hillary and Donald are the best we have to offer.

    I have been voting since I was 20 and I could usually get behind a candidate but this time I just can't support either of them. I just hope the citizen of my country wake up soon. Thank you for the soap box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that no one is 100% in favor of either candidate. I for one am 100% against Trump. He would quite literally be a disaster, not only for the US but possibly for the globe. But that's my opinion of course, anyone else's mileage may vary.

    However I also suggest that everyone select this link to The New York Times, about Sarah McBride, the first transgender woman to address any major political party in the US. Just happens to be the DNC... http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000004557772/sarah-mcbride-transgender-woman-speaks-at-dnc.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Michelle and Emma for your feedback. These are strange times not just for the US but for the world and the pattern for me is definitely global inequality and greed which seem to be universal themes since we have been on this planet. The main problem is that it has escalated to an extreme level.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…