Thursday, 14 July 2016

the power in aging

I don’t want to be as harsh as to yell “society be damned” but I think there’s a lot to be said for adopting an attitude that approaches it. Being who you truly are within the reality of the world we live in is a very difficult thing to do and even those who profess to be there will fall prey to some degree of conformance.

With age I have rebelled to the point where I am comfortable within the context of the reality that I live. Even at this less than perfect level I have never felt so empowered as compared to where I was. I can see how seniors can get to a stage where they possess no filter and they feel free to say what is on their mind.

I was listening to an interview with famous geneticist and environmentalist Dr. David Suzuki (who is now an octogenarian) in which he said he no longer felt constrained by anything society told him he had to do. He only felt obligated to tell the truth and to share his wisdom with the future generations. What a wonderful goal to have.

Abandoning needless social convention is like shedding your skin and once having done so, you can never go back.

I felt compelled to end this post with a bit of levity and because I am a Woody Allen fan I just couldn't resist....


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That was brilliant, thank you.

    Another favorite Woody Allen story is this: he reported that he'd learned how to speed read. One of the most recent books he'd read was War and Peace. His summary: "It's about Russia."

    ReplyDelete