Skip to main content

the non-transitioning trans person

Jack Molay’s latest Crossdreamers article got me thinking.

Much is left to be written on the non-transitioning transgender person because the fact is that the vast majority of us will not do so; at least not fully. For those of us that are strongly dysphoric it poses unique challenges that involve weighing previous life commitments, beliefs and economic factors.

For me the most important element here is that a dysphoric person cannot worry about imposed societal guilt or shame which must be eliminated at all costs if they are going to begin a journey towards internal peace. No clear thinking will happen without it with the risk that the person will end up in a vicious loop of despair and disillusionment because they cannot achieve an ideal that they had painted in their mind.

Perhaps that ideal was to have been born a girl.

In some ways I still continue to see gender dysphoria as an illness. It can act as a trickster and have you think that you can only find fulfillment by undergoing a complete transformation when I don’t believe that this is necessarily true; at least not for everyone.

Perhaps the best goal might be to find the best version of you which honours the gender non-conformity that seems to be a natural part of who you are. Here there are no hard and fast rules and you are given the task of writing your own manual. But it is clear that transition need not be nor should be the ultimate target of every transgender person.

For a number of reasons I have already stated here my aim is not to transition but not because I don’t see that as a favorable goal. It is because I have achieved internal resolution without it and forging ahead would be going too far. This is not the case for all you and I am deeply aware of this.

The hardest part is finding what your own balance point is and that can take years to arrive at. But rest assured that there is no wrong answer if you reflect deeply and honestly on this difficult question. At least this was my experience.

For me it was not one pivotal moment that decided all but instead a series of little victories aimed towards allowing myself the dignity of defining who I was rather than let someone else do that for me. It sounds deceivingly simple and yet can be very difficult when you have lived under the oppressive weight of indoctrination for as long as I did.

Its important to remember that to a great extent the gender binary has historically been used to enslave people and have them fit into predetermined boxes whether they wanted to or not.

Except that there has hardly been a better time to renounce that idea than today.


Comments

  1. The "non transitioning trans person" group constitutes almost all trans people!

    For most of our lives those of us who do finally take that step have been in the non transitioning group. Our lives are totally dominated by thoughts of what could have been, what could be and all the imaginary hurdles stopping us from making that change. society generally and fanatical sub groups of society more so do their best to shut us away to maintain there idealised view of the world.

    We all make our choices. I regret that my early attempts at getting help were thwarted by the medical "profession" who assured me that it would never happen in my lifetime. that same organisation now is pro active in supporting the whole alphabet spectrum of non gender binary and sexually orientated.

    Too late in life those endless circular thought patterns which filled my head have vanished, no more sleepless nights of inner turmoil just peace. I made the leap of faith and proved all my fears to be unfounded.

    The more of us who can make that leap of faith and show the world that we exist and are not the monsters they think we are the better it will be for the uncountable millions out there we know exist in a state of unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very difficult process Coline and many of us have way too much baggage to take that leap of faith. I count myself among them and I am not certain that going all the way would make me any happier although I do admit that the circular pattern in the head is something I could do without and you are so right there. Unresolved dysphoria is not an easy thing to live with to be sure and at times I have my doubts about the way I am proceeding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…