Skip to main content

why I feel the fetish argument doesn't work

Emasculation fetish as origin for the transgender condition cannot really work as an explanation. For one thing this idea depends heavily on fetishes having their origins in prepubescence (something which is as of yet unproven) but also on the improbability of the existence of a feminine essence in a male child.

What continues to plague the argument of the construction of a false post-arousal female identity is that young prepubescent dysphoric children don't think and behave in overt sexual ways. They take the female role during play and behave in perfectly innocent ways until scolded and told to stop. Only upon arriving at puberty are they horrified to find that for gynephilics there is an erotic component that has adhered itself which competes and interferes with normal sexual functioning.

But if the eroticism that gynephilics experience is just a symptom of their dysphoria then we might be able to remain within a universal model in which dysphoria is experienced through different filters. One such filter I addressed in a recent post on the tandem of testosterone and orientation and how it impacts the gynephilic dysphoric male.

The emasculation fetish argument also doesn’t help explain female to male transsexualism or for that matter androphilic male to female transsexuals. These two groups insist they are identity driven and tend to downplay the sexual in their gender non-conformity which the data we have confirms. This is why I continue to return to the idea of a universal model of gender dysphoria which may not yet be understood but which would explain much more of what we see in the world than a bunch of unrelated and disjointed theories.

We know that the concept of a male and female identity is real and not socially constructed. John Money who went against this basic tenet proved he was wrong by experimenting with the life of David Reimer who, in spite of being socialized as a girl from birth after being sexually reassigned, rejected his imposed female identity completely and insisted he was a male. Once told of his botched circumcision he transitioned back to his birth sex but ultimately committed suicide.

For some people their gender identities seem to run counter to expectation and many of us know flamboyantly feminine men and very masculine women who are not necessarily discontent living within the confines of the bodies they were born with. Their comportment is natural and unaffected by social pressure and if anything they are scolded for it. So if masculine and feminine natures are real and biologically affected then a mixture of both or a complete reversal is clearly very possible.

I am still uncertain of how gender non-conformity and dysphoria overlap if at all and why some people are content within the confines of their birth sex to be gender rebels in both behaviour and dress while others insist on a gender role transition. This we have yet to be able to answer.

But in the end, completely ungluing sexuality from gender identity becomes impossible because part of being a certain gender in adulthood implies sexual awareness. To shame this aspect and presenting it as proof for negation of a transgender identity makes little sense.

It makes me sad to think that dysphorics seeking reassignment surgery felt compelled to downplay this aspect to their gatekeepers when the real litmus test really should have been whether they would be happier or less so after they transitioned.


Comments

  1. As always, excellent post Joanna. Indeed my gender nonconformity emerged long before I even conceived what was below girl's waists. I just knew I didn't feel very comfortable with boys and their behaviors, and wanted to join the girls in their play and what they were learning and doing.

    Somehow I learned this was wrong. In kindergarten the girls didn't really like me joining them and I somehow knew or sensed that if I pushed for what I wanted too much that that was going to cause a lot of social discord for me. So I struggled to find a middle ground. Grade school was better in some ways. After all, during class, we were all the same. And at recess we had more options. But I focused my attentions on girls and women in TV and movies, dreamed of being a mermaid or a dancer, but it was all my solitary and shameful secret.

    The onset of testosterone made it all so hard to sort out. I liked girls sexually and as life partners. And whatever I could find on gender dysphoria was all about its being a sexual fetish as you say, and a shameful one at that. I internalized the message that I was wrong and bad and worse, at fault, for whatever I was feeling.

    I'm 60 now and I think a benefit is that testosterone is less of a driver than it was which enables me to separate and understand my feelings much more. But it still has ups and downs that's for sure.

    I do think that the young people these days are blessed with so much more tolerance about so much as well as so much excellent information. So blaming transgenderism on fetishes I think is rapidly declining. But that's just my instinct and maybe hope.

    Thanks again, Joanna.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma you are very correct to say that the depletion of testosterone helps to clarify the feelings and as we age we almost return to where we began which was a more innocent understanding of gender identity which was not complicated by do's and don'ts. As soon as we were interfered with is when the problems started.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…