Sunday, 25 September 2016

of autumn past and present

Yesterday Montreal welcomed the sobriety of Autumn and I for one was happy to see it. I rejoice in its briskness and after the humid dog days of summer there is a lucidity that the cooler air brings.

My son and I walked among the crowds at the Jean Talon market and took in the espresso laden air and the sounds of shoppers mixed with buskers singing their songs to a half attentive audience.

This season has always held a fascination for me even as it meant a return to scholastic discipline in my youth; the drier warmth peppered with a bracing wind could always be counted to wake and invigorate the senses and inspire the creative juices.

I turn to him and see him in his Halloween costume suddenly: the mental image fading as quickly as it came. I make mention of it and he reminds me his trick or treating days are long over and while I have never enjoyed his company more, part of me grieves the passage of time.

How much faster it moves as we get older.




2 comments:

  1. The skewed analogy of how much faster life moves as we age is the comparison the a roll of toilet paper that seems to shrink exponentially faster the closer it gets to the final sheet.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use that analogy all the time Pat! when you start it nothing moves and at the end you can't keep it on the roll...

    ReplyDelete