Monday, 19 September 2016

overheard in a Payless store

I was in a Payless store briefly yesterday when a man walked in wearing his full cycling regalia; the helmet, the suit, the right shoes, everything. One of the sales girls came up to him and offered help.

I couldn’t make out what he said but he was going into the ladies section. Then a few minutes later I heard the sales girl exclaim:

“Are they for you or for your wife?”

“They’re for me” was the matter of fact reply. I gathered he was looking at some ballerina flats.

Then I remember when doing such a thing stirred such great conflict for me. Something I don’t today give a second thought to and certainly always do in Joanna mode.

It just took me back to those days.

I would pretend to buy shoes for someone else and then nervously pay for them trying to not look too conspicuous. Of course I did and then was relieved to leave the store with a purchase that would invariably end up the trash a few days or maybe weeks later once the guilt had overtaken me.

A few minutes later the cyclist was walking out apparently not having bought anything although his feet looked like size wouldn't have been a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment