Thursday, 22 September 2016

the volcanic isle

Iceland is a country that I might not have visited if it weren’t for my profession but I am glad I did.

It was a difficult and challenging project for my company and yet over several months I managed to go there 3 times and enjoy some of the touristic merits of this island of approximately 300,000 inhabitants.

My first trip was in February so the sun rose at 10 am and set by 2 pm but as spring approached the days were virtually 24 hours long.

The capital city of Reykjavik is charming and boasts a wealth of fine restaurants while the landscapes in the countryside are almost surreal due to the volcanic nature of the soil. In fact the entire country is powered on geothermal energy which makes certain industries attractive due to the low electrical generation cost.

If you decide to visit (and I strongly urge that you do), The Golden Circle, the Blue Lagoon and the drive to Hellissandur are particularly worthwhile visits.


Reykjavik


Hellissandur


The Blue Lagoon

2 comments:

  1. We have several friends who have been there and they say the same nice things that you do about Iceland.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it Pat and its a short 5 hour flight from the Northeast

      Delete