Saturday, 24 September 2016

true self-acceptance

There is nothing that has more intrinsic value than accepting yourself as you are. Think about this for a moment.

If you did not care one bit about what people thought and were completely immune to their opinions you would have achieved something few people in this world possess. Yet this is the kind of fortitude that is required to be a truly content person.

I believe that most transgender people suffer from lack of confidence at some point in their lives and that is not surprising. After all we are aware very early that we have to hide in shame from this difference and this only encourages the building of insecurity that is hard to overcome. But it must be defeated at all costs.

I was debilitated by shyness when young and this was exacerbated by needing to hide a part of myself that I dare not divulge to anyone. This made the building of confidence more difficult and while from the outside I may have appeared to have everything under control it was far from being the case.

I still see much pain among our community as people struggle with the challenges of being different and the rejection that they face every day can seem insurmountable at times. Our best shield is the knowledge that we have value as human beings and that being different does not mean being inferior no matter what conventional societal wisdom may say.

By now I have witnessed enough human stupidity to last me a lifetime and I will be damned if I am going to let just anyone affect me at my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment