Saturday, 3 September 2016

two worlds

It’s striking the difference between the male and female worlds. Although I am not privy to having been raised as a girl I have been out in the world as Joanna long enough to observe the differences in treatment and approach between the sexes.

Women are kinder and more respectful towards each other. They smile more readily and are more complimentary while men tend to be competitive and more abrupt ( and yes I know I am aware that I am generalizing here). Some of this cannot be helped because aside from the biological differences there have been decisions in rearing that have crafted these distinctions into people and they are hard to undo.

In some ways I prefer the way that women relate to each other than men. This does not mean that I don’t value male friendships but they tend to be more distant and difficult to be open inside them.

The other day a woman walked up to me and said to me in French:

“Madam I find that you are very elegant. I was watching you from a distance and thought I would let you know”

She was being sweet and genuine and we had a nice exchange but no man would walk up to another man and compliment them on comportment or even on what they were wearing. They simply weren’t raised that way.



No comments:

Post a Comment