Tuesday, 25 October 2016

a case of two extremes

First this story from the Hull Daily Mail:

"Melissa Ede, a taxi driver, was raised in the post-war Hull of the 1960s. Born male, Ede grew up identifying as a girl. Aged three, she told her parents she is a girl, to which they told her it was a phase she would grow out of.

The 56-year-old said: "You do not grow out of it. In the end, you're made to conform to what everybody else wants to see."

For the next four decades Ede purposefully had her transgender identity airbrushed out. As Leslie, she married and had three children in an effort to conform to stereotypical notions of masculinity. She described how her childhood realization turned into a firm resolve that led to a clinic in Leeds.

Ede said: "The kids, my children, I love to pieces. I wouldn't change anything now, but if I could go back and start again and not know about my children I would do it completely different and I would not do the marriage and the rest of it because all I've done, I feel like, is hurt people throughout my life by doing it because I haven't been true to these people."

Her gender transition was met with her parent's disapproval, physical violence on the streets of Hull and a lack of medical care. But Ede does not wear her tragedies on her skin. She is ebullient and ambitious, with a goal of changing the world.

Ede said: "I want to be remembered that I helped to change the world one person at a time." which is what the note she is holding in the photo below reads"

As a stark counterpoint to the pathos of the above story is a short article on a clearly mentally-disturbed Trump supporter who carries a gun to the toilet in case there is a transgender woman present (I wish I were joking).

At this point I would counsel Melissa that no amount of help is going to change some clearly twisted and malevolent individuals.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/10/24/lawyer-who-carries-anti-transgender-gun-is-backing-trump-despite-sex-abuse-claims/


2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see a cartoon of that lawyer holding her Glock in the stall while conducting the business she was in there for! The caption might be, "Now, which hand do I use for the paper?"

    ReplyDelete