Saturday, 8 October 2016

Double mocha half-caf with caramel sprinkles

I tend to frequent the Starbucks chain (among others) and I am fascinated by the democratization of coffee.

Young adults half my age will order things like “macchiato double caramel pumpkin twist with chocolate sprinkles (I am somewhat ad-libbing here but I’m not far off) and get something resembling what I used to see at the ice cream shop when I was a kid.

Coffee is big business but in order to expand they needed to reach a wider audience and sell more expensive products as they don’t make as much profit on my habitual single long espresso.

Instead of forcing young people to adapt to new things we are infantilizing products (don't forget the sprinkles please).

No I am not deliberately trying to be a curmudgeon here but just making an observation. When I was their age coffee houses served what my parents drank. This phenomenon has extended to alcoholic beverages with hard lemonades and coolers that appeal more to a palette raised on juices and other sweet drinks.

My son asked me if he would ever grow to like beer and, although I didn't so much at his age either, I wonder if he will even attempt it with all these concoctions afoot.


No comments:

Post a Comment