Wednesday, 26 October 2016

hormones

Antonia Michelle’s post on hormones (which Calie featured on T-central) really got me thinking.

Do ingesting hormones change your internal gender identity? I think the obvious answer would be no. Your intrinsic identity will not be changed although maybe some aspects related to brain chemistry which the hormones impact likely will. At least this is what I have read and been told when I was in gender therapy.

The vast majority of people have an identity that aligns reasonably with what is expected but for the 0.6% who don’t it can be a daunting exercise in suppressing and hiding the true self. That true self was there before and after the hormones were ingested.

The question then becomes why should I take hormones?

That is a highly personal question that each transgender person needs to weigh. For some it forms an essential part of a full and necessary transition process while for others it’s an aid in "passing" in the eyes of society or perhaps as a way to help curb dysphoric feelings.

We are all different.

But regardless of the way you proceed I don’t think that the administering of hormones is a substitute for the self-acceptance process that needs to be happen before doing anything. I think you need to accept you are transgender, embrace it and heal the psychological scars of your childhood before embarking on a next step.

Personally I don't intend to follow down that rabbit hole and, when the dust settles from your reflection process, some of you just might find they are not for you either.


3 comments:

  1. "But regardless of the way you proceed I don’t think that the administering of hormones is a substitute for the self-acceptance process that needs to be happen before doing anything. I think you need to accept you are transgender, embrace it and heal the psychological scars of your childhood before embarking on a next step."

    Fantastic advice!

    ReplyDelete