Friday, 14 October 2016

my own coming out....

I have come out to everyone who matters in my life. I have even come out to my neighbors because of necessity.

There are other people who I see sporadically that I am not out to yet but that's because they only know Joanna. They will eventually know as well as soon as I muster up the courage and explain the circumstances as to why I never told them.

My friend Lyne and I had a coffee this past weekend. She does know my story and she works at the sexual identity clinic at a French hospital here in Montreal. Her boss, who works extensively with transgender people, told her that she would like to see the day when we don’t feel obliged to transition in order to be accepted by society.

Those who read my blog know I hold that very same opinion. There are those who, due to the strength of their dysphoria, will opt for a necessary transition but many others can benefit substantially by simply being themselves and not needing to hide.

I told Lyne to tell her boss that I couldn’t agree with her more.

ThirdWayTrans makes some very interesting points in this video regarding some alternate techniques for managing dysphoria that some of you might find helpful. For those who don't know him, he transitioned from male to female at age 18 and then de-transitioned at age 38...


2 comments:

  1. Another terrific video, Joanna. Where do you come up with so many?

    I watched it twice, took notes the second time, and wrote a rather lengthy email to my therapist about it. Your post is very timely for me. I've recently considered, okay I am transgender. What does that mean in the context of my total life?

    I now think it's better to just say that I have gender dysphoria. At least I know that unequivocally. Beyond that what does the label matter? The point is to work on ways to accept my GD and manage it in the context of my total life, which is not wholly focused on my being transgender.

    I suppose I am trans which is fine when we define it as an umbrella term for those with GD, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I just don't want to self limit myself within that identification label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thirdwaytrans has a blog that you are likely to find interesting Emma. As a former transwoman he offers a unique perspective as does Joel from detransition.org. it is good to examine this issue from all angles in trying to figure this out for yourself.

    ReplyDelete