Sunday, 13 November 2016

I know who I am

I've known for quite a long time now that I fit Harry Benjamin’s type IV non-transitioning transsexual almost perfectly. This individual is described as someone who does not desire surgery but remains with a level of dysphoria that must be managed therefore dresses as often as possible and lives in both gender roles.

While this used to be distressing to me it no longer is because I have embraced my identity completely. I am an example of someone who can make it work and not transition.

Finding out who you are can take a long time particularly if you live in that grey zone like I always have. So while I fully support transition for those who need it I am convinced that it is possible to live without it; at least for those who fit my typology.

I have tremendous will power which has helped me to manage my dysphoria for 54 years and I strongly believe I am going to continue to live this way as long as God allows me to draw breath in this world.

5 comments:

  1. Self knowledge and acceptance is key and can take a time, more so living through our time than today I suspect but you are far from the only one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know I am not the only one Linda...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a powerful post which has a lot of clarity Joanna. Where can I find those Harry Benjamin subtypes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivienne you need to read the transsexual phenomenon which you will find free online pdf copy. Suggest you read cover to cover...

      Delete
    2. here is the link...

      http://www.mut23.de/texte/Harry%20Benjamin%20-%20The%20Transsexual%20Phenomenon.pdf

      Delete