Tuesday, 15 November 2016

keeping things in perspective

I used to be very disconcerted by the stares of people. This goes back to when I was very young and painfully shy. I always assumed that they were finding some fault with me when in fact it was the self-consciousness which invited attention.

Today I go about my business and stare anyone down who has a problem with me. But as it turns out it almost never happens because people can detect the self-assuredness. Growing up is not easy even when one is not transgender but I somehow managed to do it. I didn’t take anxiety pills and grinned and bared myself through to adulthood. I can look back now more dispassionately but it was so stress inducing for the longest time.

I tell my son now that the human spirit can take more than we think and I know I am right because I am living proof of it. In truth is that there are far bigger problems in the world than being gender dysphoric and that helps keep things in perspective.

I listened to the radio the other day and heard the story of a young epileptic young woman who has up to 20 seizures per day and nothing can be done about it. She simply drops to the floor for a minute or two and then gets up once it’s over. This also happens at night and interrupts her sleep but she has the most wonderful attitude about it and gets on with her life.

There is always someone with bigger challenges than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment