Friday, 23 December 2016

an alternate reality

In this internet era where faux news has become the norm it is more possible than ever to live in an alternate reality. Some Trump supporters even go as far as disbelieving that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote which she did by almost 3 million votes. Some of his base even thinks that California electoral college votes shouldn't count.

This is beyond surreal.

David Pakman goes through some recent poll data that is frustrating but not that surprising given my opening statement. People believe what they want to and will not be deterred with inconvenient facts.

For this reason, I am not certain that the current state of polarization in the United States is easily reparable because even relatively intelligent people are falling prey to ideology that falls along their political and religious beliefs.

This is like a bad science fiction movie where the people are possessed by alien life forms a la Invasion of the Body Snatchers and if I thought the Bush years were bad this is going to be worse.

I chalk some of this up to plain old stupidity among the Trump base however, in an era where conventional news outlets are being bypassed in favor of an echo chamber, can we be surprised about these results?


4 comments:

  1. Joanna,
    I didn't vote for Trump or HRC but concentrated on local elections. I didn't like either candidate. But I'm willing to give the guy a chance and I'm not about to leave the USA. I survived 8 years of Obama without a whimper and will see my way thru this administration. All I want is Truth. Good luck, on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Mary. I am not pointing fingers at you just merely illustrating how we can believe what we want to in this new era of customized news for your political stripe. No candidate is perfect to be sure and why would you want to leave the USA?

      Delete
  2. C'mon Joanna you know there was a bunch of "celebs" claiming to move to Canada if Mr. Trump was elected. As if Canada wanted them. I'd help Michael Moore pack his bags if he was one of them. Let me say this, I look at Stana's blog every morning to look at the pictures, and look for a post to read from you, Joanna. I think we would be pretty good friends to hang out together if we lived closer. You never fail to make me think, and look at the other side. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Mary we probably would be good friends...

      Delete