Wednesday, 14 December 2016

feeling included

Yesterday I was ordering a coffee and a small sweet. At a certain point I mentioned to the young lady that I needed to be careful with the holidays coming up and how we typically tend to over indulge.

Then she proceeded to tell me how men and women gain weight differently and how "we" have an advantage over men in that "we" can be a little pudgier and it is less dangerous. Turns out she was a nursing student.

She was very friendly and I was enjoying the banter. It didn't validate me as a trans person because I have become accustomed to passing. But what struck me most is how it has become just matter of factly that I am going to be addressed and treated as a woman when I am out.

This helps me tremendously in managing my dysphoria and, without the trepidation and the worry, I can relax and be myself which only helps me pass even better.

Funny that now that I could care less either way, people take me at face value more than ever before.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh Johanna, being thought of as part of as part of the sorority had to make you feel so good. Thanks for sharing & Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and a Merry Christmas to you too Mary!

      Delete