Skip to main content

my thoughts on alternatives to transition

Clare Flourish's blog post entitled "alternatives to transition" gave me much food for thought.

I think that the answer depends greatly on several things not the least of which is the level of your gender dysphoria. If you can be happy going out once a month or even once a week and temper the feelings then you are on to something.

In general, society has a deep disdain for feminine males. They are shunned and ridiculed and in the worst of times killed. There is a visceral distaste there which runs along the biological imperative of having a protective presence that will provide a masculine ideal. But such a model is not real for everyone and those of us caught in this trap of having to deal with expectation and needing to be ourselves are stuck.

Extreme cases of dysphoria were and are dealt with transition and I think that is still the best option. There are clear cut examples where you just look at the child and you know (and they know) that they are best to live their life as a female. But there are other cases that walk a tightrope.

I am one such person stuck in the middle and I am not the only one.

I have had to reflect long and hard for many years about what to do about my predicament but I know the answer does not lie in reshaping my body in order to fit in but rather shape my character to ignore the artificial expectations of a fickle society. But be sure that if I needed to transition then of course I would do it.

No person should be expected to live an existence based on someone else’s imagining of it. You have the power to change what you do but then the question remains: do you have the fortitude to do so?

I have had to fashion elephant skin over my life and now the thought of some ignorant idiot walking up to me and making a glib statement about what constitutes my way of being disgusts me. My current attitude has affected the way I present in public and I think people sense it. I am very confident when I am presenting as Joanna and many people know her and like her.

So there are maybe two solutions? transition or not. If you decide not to, then you need to develop the reflexes and the muscles to withstand the stares and the disdain of others because it unfortunately comes with the territory. But that confidence in me has come with much more acceptance than anything else and rarely do I encounter an odd stare.

When I do get an unusual stare, I stare back with a steely expression that has them look away.

Be yourself.

Comments

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Joanna. You're doing some good work here. I'm gonna poke around and read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are very welcome. I have been to yours before and it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My earlier comment didn't really address this specific post and it's too important to let pass. You raise an important, even critical issue. Our struggle to live in contemporary society is made hard by people's attitude toward gender: e.g., the expectation of defined gender roles; intolerance of deviation from prescribed behavior and expression. Trying to fit ourselves into that unfriendly world is difficult.

    My perspective is affected by the fact of my age -- I lived through earlier times when things were even rougher. For instance, when I was young, the concept of transitioning didn't exist as a realistic option for me, so my only choice was the learn how to adapt (or die). I recently described this experience in a magazine article you might want to look at -- http://www.hollandlanemag.com/blog/2016/11/10/an-authentic-life

    Young people today have more choices, including full transition. I like how you explicitly recognize the difficulties of those who do and don't transition. I also like how you describe your reaction to unfriendly behavior when you do present as female. It takes real courage to face opprobrium. Great piece of writing here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your blog, and I very much agree and am aligned with this post. I too walk the tightrope (however, many times I think I'm leaning towards the "I need to transition" side).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

understanding the erotic component

I have written about crossed wires before in two separate posts. The idea is that one cannot pass through puberty and the development of sexual feelings for females and not have your pre-existing gender dysphoria be impacted through your psychosexual development. The hormone responsible for your libido is testosterone which is present in much stronger concentration in males and is why gynephilics are most likely to experience erotic overtones as the conflict between romantic external feelings and their pull towards the feminine become permanently intertwined.

Because I came from a deeply religious family where sex was not discussed much at all, I grew up with little access to information and was very much ignorant of matters relating to the subject. With no firsthand experience in intercourse until I married I was then faced with the reality that my ability to perform sexually had been deeply impacted by my dysphoric feelings. This began years of turmoil and self-deprecating thoughts …