Monday, 2 January 2017

atheism

I see atheism as a form of idolatry of humankind.

I think it basks in the arrogance that there is nothing more intelligent beyond us and I have tried to make sense of the notion that everything comes from a spectral gas which then goes about its business like a chain reaction. It breaks the rules that my logic wants to follow.

I can respect agnosticism because at least it leaves the door ajar and permits reasonable doubt. For absence of proof is not solid evidence of the nonexistence of God. I prefer to observe the movement of the planets and the electron patterns in an atom and assign that to a massive intelligence far beyond my own.

I think I have said here before that the ant cannot imagine the human because it is not within its capacity to do so. This is how I choose to see our relationship with what lies beyond us except that we are even further removed than that. A coordinate system that is beyond time and space and our understanding is likely at play here for God does not likely play on the same plain.

Perhaps we have a sanctity and a dignity that mirrors our maker and our choices are made with the freedom of will that must be made available to someone that is loved. Sometimes it can be tempting to blame an absence of a God on our woes which can only happen with that freedom in place. A life without choice would not make much sense and then even our suffering can help inspire others.

I cannot tell you why we are here or the exact purpose of our creation, but I can still observe the physical evidence around me and not close my eyes to it because it is there. No one looks at a house and imagines it built itself and yet this is exactly what the atheist asks that I do.

I criticize religion here a lot but only the type that distorts common sense or uses dogma to persecute others. For if there is a God then that sentient intelligence has had opportunity and justification to pass judgment on things we would be far less likely to forgive.

The hardest thing in our modern existence to do is admit limitation because we fancy ourselves advanced beings and yet it is all but obligatory in this case. I suppose that is why we are obliged to call it faith.

The atheist and I are at a stalemate. The difference is that I choose to see the magical and circumstantial evidence all around me.




2 comments:

  1. Dear Joanna please read a book called "Transgender Spirituality; Man Into Goddess" by a writer ( pseudonymously ) named Saki Bhava. Quite inspiring & insightful indeed, especially for those of us of a more intellectual bent. thank you for your good work & best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reference Mark I am going to look that up....

      Delete