Tuesday, 17 January 2017

insidious

The one common thread running through the blogs and websites of transgender people whose accounts I have read is that their lives have all been challenging. This has been the case almost without exception.

What has tended to vary has been the level of acceptance of partners, friends and family members which has tended to make a huge difference in the quality of their lives.

But I don’t pretend to state that transgender lives are worse than other people's other than to note the often insidious impact of silence on a life not genuinely lived due to fear of rejection. Other realities cannot be concealed as well which tends to invite earlier intervention.

This is why I am so glad that we have at least created an environment where today's trans youth can come out and seek help.

In my son’s school there are currently two transitioning students (one MTF and one FTM) and judging from my questioning of the general reaction of their classmates, both seem to be finding acceptance. No doubt there are still detractors but I know how much worse it would have been for them during my time.

Thank goodness for progress today and that we no longer need to live in insidious silence.


5 comments:

  1. Agreed. Those of us who are older all naturally wonder how different our lives would have been if we were young today in an environment of greater acceptance. Oh, well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! Oh to be young again . . . .
      Very encouraging to hear about your son's school.

      Delete
    2. for my son its almost matter of fact and he doesn't give it a second thought. I have brought up both my children to respect difference.

      Delete